P. chlorophaea, O. distinctus, and Rhombodera spp.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew

Reaction score
I took some mantids out today for some pics.

L4 Phyllovates chlorophaea "light" phase.

IMG_2936.jpg

"Dark" phase

IMG_2931.jpg

Comparison

IMG_2945.jpg

Oxypilus distinctus - L2

Its hard to get a good pic of these guys, they never stop running around!

IMG_2949.jpg

Rhombodera spp. - L3

IMG_2954.jpg

IMG_2956.jpg

And a nice pic of my chaco goldenknee after a molt. :)

IMG_2912.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to freak you guys out with the tarantula, lol :p I've been raising that T since it was a tiny hairless thing, and just look at him now. *cries*

NIce Andrew :D Glad to know your mantis are doing great!! and you are going into bugs big time :p
Thanks.

And are you talking about the mantids or just bugs in general? :lol:

Compared to mantids, the spider is just hideous!

By the way - how long do you wait after the final molt, before you mate O. Distinctus? Mine moulted five days ago...

And are you talking about the mantids or just bugs in general? :lol:
Either one :D you are definately the comeback bug guy of the yr. :lol: We need more people like you making a comeback, together with all the new hobbyist to keep this hobby alive B)

By the way - how long do you wait after the final molt, before you mate O. Distinctus? Mine moulted five days ago...
I actually started with ootheca, so I couldn't tell you. Sorry. :(

Either one :D you are definately the comeback bug guy of the yr. :lol: We need more people like you making a comeback, together with all the new hobbyist to keep this hobby alive B)
Haha, thanks.

Yeah, we definately need more people back. Whatever happened to Jesse(and Stephan too)? At least we got Eros back but he never posts anyways, lol. :rolleyes:

Some more pics!

O. distinctus L3

I've got about 10 L3's and 25 L1. This species is pretty hardy, very few casualties so far and still communal. Terrible picture, I know.

IMG_2988.jpg

Rhombodera spp. L4

These guys are getting big! Another hardy species, of the 8 L1 nymphs I received still no casualties.

IMG_2994.jpg

P. Wahlbergii

Female has been mature for a couple weeks, male should be molting any time now...

IMG_2986.jpg

Yeah, we definately need more people back. Whatever happened to Jesse(and Stephan too)? At least we got Eros back but he never posts anyways, lol. :rolleyes:
The last time PM from Jesse mentioned that he has gone to a university in Cali for his Phs in entomology. Stephen went back to Berlin after quitting mantis.
1b38f9e2.gif

After a long vacation to the dark abyss of lost items, my macro lens finally decided it was time to return.

Its nothing real special, but it does seem to help.

Subadult male D. lobata

IMG_3022.jpg

(female, anyone?)

And the usual

IMG_3039.jpg

IMG_3051.jpg

IMG_3061.jpg

P. virescens

IMG_3024.jpg

P. wahlbergii, subadult male

Not a great pic but it shows the coloration coming in on the wings pretty well. This little guy is gonna be molting soon.

IMG_2997.jpg

IMG_3010.jpg

He molted last night around midnight. :)

IMG_3080.jpg

I found him hanging around midnight, he hadn't started to dry his wings yet. I think he finished ~1:30AM.

When my female molted, it was at night too.

More pics. :)

L5

RhomboderasppL5.jpg

L4(?) - Haven't been keeping track well.

IMG_3110.jpg

L4(?) - Again, haven't been keeping track well enough. :rolleyes:

PvirescensL5.jpg

First S. limbata ooth hatched. :D

IMG_3126.jpg

IMG_3122.jpg

Whuuuuhhh? :blink: Two more molts? He's still so tiny...wow, I guess I need to sex them and slow the males down? Do the females not have wingbuds at all?