Perfect Nymph Housing

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digger

Reaction score
I'm sure this is nothing new to many of you:

While buying dinner for Nikki Mantis at Pet Smart today, I spotted a "Mesh Breeder" by "Topfin" a Pet Smart brand. Made to isolate fish in an aquarium, this is a light-weight 6.5" x 5" x 5" enclosure, that looks tailor-made for L1 through L3 or 4.

A plastic frame snaps together and a fine mesh bag slips snuggly around the frame. The top remains open, so you can fashion a lid with feeding hole. Am going to transfer Ponder to it and see how it works. Species requiring high humidity might have a problem since it's all ventilation. But misting should work very well because you can get it into all sides of the encloser.

If anyone's had experience with this type of products, I'd like to read your opinion!

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3788232&cp=2767036.11209659&utm_campaign=bazaarvoice&utm_medium=SearchVoice&utm_source=RatingsAndReviews&utm_content=Default

-- Digger

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 3 of these ... But i don't use them ... they are made for fish when they have Babies .. but the top is not covered and no zipper ... so If u plan to put an adult is fine but u'll need to make a lid or put it upside down ... and feeder can escape from the opening unless u find a way ...to close it good ... I'll post some Pic so u guys know what I mean, Sorry If my English Skill hard for u guys to understand.. the Mesh is Super Fine .... trust me nothing can go through But no point when a big opening is on top ...

Hope this Can Help you ~!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good job Albert. To answer earlier questions - no, I haven't used it yet. I do have a T. sinensis ooth incubating. If it's successful, a few of the L1s will be transferred to this cage. Then I'll have a better handle on performance and ease-of-use.

Latest posts