Pet Names

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digger

Reaction score
I thought it might be fun to start this thread where members can add the pet names of their respective mantids. Just names are fine, if you don't wish to indicate the breed/species.

For me it's currently:

Ponder ( paraspendale affinis )

Orion ( tenodera sinensis )

Twitch ( "" "" "" "" )

Perseus ( hierodula membranacea )

Nikki ( The Great and Powerful ); recently deceased.

so far the only mantis name I've had is Mindy (Deceased Chinese mantis female)

Sally, Jack, cleopatra, Brandy, oogieboogie, Alice, Neo, Juno, Ping, Jing, Varuka, Karl, carolyn,Edward scissorhands, Emily and Sweeny so far..oh and Lord Barkiss :)

Kick stand, Radio, Penelope, Cheap Shot, Buck Shot, and Sue. And everyone has had a Zorak before, right? That was a while ago though. I haven't named any in a while.

My latest ones have been Deirdre, Adventure, Ailbhe, Caitriona, Bridget, Fiona, Seamus, Fergus, Cliona, Ailise, Darts, Moira, Aoife, and Chloe. I like Irish names :) When I was younger, I gave them all names like Mandy, Madeline, Mandilla, Mandella, Minnie, Mary, Manny, Max, etc. Now I go for a little more creative. Not all Irish names, obviously Adventure and Darts weren't, and I have a whole new generation to name pretty soon, as soon as they are old enough.

I name all the females Tony. just refer to them as Hymenopus Tony, Idolomantis Tony, and so on................It's such a fem name.

I now name mine with something that matches their physical or psychological (if existent) state.

But before I gave them cool names from extinct animals such as Eustreptospondylus, Didelphodon, Anurognathus, Dunkleosteus, Cryptoclidus and Liopleurodon

Smith and Wesson (ghosts, both died)

Winchester, Stoger, Mossburg, Marlin, Browning (p. Spurca)

Benelli (orchid)

C. Pictipennis (RPG, The Fifty, AR)

Paired Ghosts (Sig and Saur)

Ghost colony (Reloads)

Dessicata (Yellow Boy)

Ghost (daringer)

Carolina (glock and Khar)

Majuscula (Gunny and Sarge)

Only mammals get names in my house, have had too many critters over the years to even think about naming them.

Suggestion: Dont mess with GG.

Smith and Wesson (ghosts, both died)
Winchester, Stoger, Mossburg, Marlin, Browning (p. Spurca)
Benelli (orchid)
C. Pictipennis (RPG, The Fifty, AR)
Paired Ghosts (Sig and Saur)
Ghost colony (Reloads)
Dessicata (Yellow Boy)
Ghost (daringer)
Carolina (glock and Khar)
Majuscula (Gunny and Sarge)

I have a favorite, death feigning/twig-imitating T. sinensis nymph which I call "Possum"—set off from the rest with a specially labeled cup. This nymph also receives more food items than the others. I shouldn't play favorites; all my children deserve to be loved equally. Bad parent.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts