Phyllocrania paradoxa (ghost mantis)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charzard

Reaction score
I think that I've decided that I want to acquire a ghost mantis. I'm not sure if I should just begin with one or more. Is there anything particular people suggest for a beginner caring for a ghost mantis?

Right now I am looking into how to set up their enclosure, getting a heating lamp, thermometer and something to check the humidity. Should I get a humidifier to keep humidity up in enclosure, glass, plastic, or mesh better for enclosure? I want to create the most comfortable environment for it. Perhaps I am asking way too many questions. I have been slowly looking through forums on their care and the specific care sheet for them on here, but if there is anything someone specifically suggests I'd much appreciate it.

Thank you ahead of time, always much appreciated.

-Charlie

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one adult ghost mantis that I've had since L2. I've kept in plastic enclosures his entire life. I keep him between 73-76° and I mist his enclosure once a day. I offer him water daily thru a dropper in addition to his misting. I offer him 1/4 of a superworm every 3-4 days, or a couple of flies if I find any. I don't handle him often but when I do he likes me to stay still and he just does his ghost dance. I just finished giving him water, he's very happy  :lol: . This is what I personally do for my little ghost. 

I have one adult ghost mantis that I've had since L2. I've kept in plastic enclosures his entire life. I keep him between 73-76° and I mist his enclosure once a day. I offer him water daily thru a dropper in addition to his misting. I offer him 1/4 of a superworm every 3-4 days, or a couple of flies if I find any. I don't handle him often but when I do he likes me to stay still and he just does his ghost dance. I just finished giving him water, he's very happy  :lol: . This is what I personally do for my little ghost. 
Thank you! Very helpful! Do you use a heating lamp?

I'm also a beginner! I have 1 L3 Ghost and an L4 who just molted yesterday. Both live in 32 oz deli cups with cloth lids though I'll replace the L4's lid with a mesh one after I get home from work today. If you get a smaller one I'd recommend keeping them in a cup until they mature, otherwise it might be tough for them to find their food (which will also be tiny!). I mist them daily and use a heat mat and thermostat to keep them at about 73°F :)

@charzard no problem, and no I don't use any heating pads or lamps, I just placed my bugs in the warmest room of the house, which is the office full of warm computers. I live in California though and it never really gets crazy cold, if you live in a colder state you might need a heating pad or lamp. 

I mist my ghosts once every three days or so, and have been feeding them crickets. Once the males reached adulthood they haven't eaten much at all, and just kind of behead the crickets and toss the bodies. I don't worry about the temperature at all, as room temperature seems to be fine for them.

Their enclosures are masons jars, with burlap glued to the top.

https://scontent-sea1-1.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/e35/15877465_1376321769078599_297721154364243968_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTQyODY0NTY0ODM3OTIzMjQ1MA%3D%3D.2

https://scontent-sea1-1.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/e35/15803251_106358913208023_4454990256961224704_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTQyODY0NjU2MjU3ODEzMDQ5MA%3D%3D.2

I mist my ghosts once every three days or so, and have been feeding them crickets. Once the males reached adulthood they haven't eaten much at all, and just kind of behead the crickets and toss the bodies. I don't worry about the temperature at all, as room temperature seems to be fine for them.

https://scontent-sea1-1.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/e35/15877465_1376321769078599_297721154364243968_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTQyODY0NTY0ODM3OTIzMjQ1MA%3D%3D.2

https://scontent-sea1-1.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/e35/15803251_106358913208023_4454990256961224704_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTQyODY0NjU2MjU3ODEzMDQ5MA%3D%3D.2
Been a long time, if ever, since I have seen Live insect habitats used in decorating where the not only fit but accentuate the décor. I admire and am envious of such vision. Thanks for the pictures cause just reading I thought "mason jars?" First picture --- hmm cool can work well for solo--.

Second picture is what really knocked my socks off!

Very nice enclosures! I appreciate the pictures as I am really trying to figure out what I need for them and how I should make their habitat so they are content!

I'm also a beginner! I have 1 L3 Ghost and an L4 who just molted yesterday. Both live in 32 oz deli cups with cloth lids though I'll replace the L4's lid with a mesh one after I get home from work today. If you get a smaller one I'd recommend keeping them in a cup until they mature, otherwise it might be tough for them to find their food (which will also be tiny!). I mist them daily and use a heat mat and thermostat to keep them at about 73°F :)
That's great! I need to get myself a thermostat. I just fear sometimes about the cold and it affecting my insects, especially my beetles! The house I live in has no insulation in the walls (it is an old house) so the heat that is produced within escapes rather quickly, it seems. I'll definitely use a heating mat or lamp and a thermostat to ensure the mantis is at optimal temperature!

@charzard no problem, and no I don't use any heating pads or lamps, I just placed my bugs in the warmest room of the house, which is the office full of warm computers. I live in California though and it never really gets crazy cold, if you live in a colder state you might need a heating pad or lamp. 
Ahh!! You're in California! That's awesome, I love it there! Beautiful place, especially Monterey Bay/Carmel area! I am dying for the warm weather to catch, observe, and identify insects! Oh, and hike! Gosh, the love I have for the outdoors! Just not a fan of cold..and there is a snow storm coming tomorrow! Anyways, I very much appreciate the information!

Ghost mantises are a pretty hardy mantis despite their looks. I've found they tend to do fine at room temperature (unless the room is super cold) with daily misting. If however you find the air is getting really dry where you are because of running heaters and the like during winter, than yes, I would suggest a room humidifier not just for the bugs but for your benefit. Outside of that the one thing I would note is this species tends to be a little more finicky with eating. They tend to like prey no larger than their head and they prefer to wait for it to come to them, meaning ground crawling prey like crickets will often go ignored, so flies are easiest to feed.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's great! I need to get myself a thermostat. I just fear sometimes about the cold and it affecting my insects, especially my beetles! The house I live in has no insulation in the walls (it is an old house) so the heat that is produced within escapes rather quickly, it seems. I'll definitely use a heating mat or lamp and a thermostat to ensure the mantis is at optimal temperature!
That's a good idea. I live in El Paso which has been having some freezing weather lately so I don't have a choice but to keep my little bugaroos warm with heat mats and thermostats. There are some cheap ones on Amazon (I can show you the ones I purchased) and both Ghosts have been molting like crazy (the L3 is now also an L4!) so I assume they're working  :lol:

@charzard I know I'm planning a hike soon and hopefully I can find some ooths! It's my first time searching for insects while hiking so I'm excited!
That's great! It'll be a lot of fun. I actually searched a couple days ago for some, but no luck! I hope you find some and if so, post pictures!!

That's a good idea. I live in El Paso which has been having some freezing weather lately so I don't have a choice but to keep my little bugaroos warm with heat mats and thermostats. There are some cheap ones on Amazon (I can show you the ones I purchased) and both Ghosts have been molting like crazy (the L3 is now also an L4!) so I assume they're working  :lol:
Yes, I'd definitely like to see which ones you purchased. You just put it right under the container of either glass or plastic (it won't melt the plastic)? Do you have it on a timer or on all the time? Thanks!

Yes, I'd definitely like to see which ones you purchased. You just put it right under the container of either glass or plastic (it won't melt the plastic)? Do you have it on a timer or on all the time? Thanks!
I'll take some pictures of them when I get home, as I am currently typing this from work  :ph34r:  I set the heat mats for about 73°F and place 2 cups directly on top of it (as it is wide enough) and it does not melt the plastic at all. The cups have been there since the 28th of January and have no damage whatsoever.

I have no timer on the thermostats as it gets very cold in my room at night, so the mantises stay warm about 24/7 (the exception is when I place them into a temporary cup for cleaning, they stay there for 5 minutes at the very most). They are misted daily.

I'll take some pictures of them when I get home, as I am currently typing this from work  :ph34r:  I set the heat mats for about 73°F and place 2 cups directly on top of it (as it is wide enough) and it does not melt the plastic at all. The cups have been there since the 28th of January and have no damage whatsoever.

I have no timer on the thermostats as it gets very cold in my room at night, so the mantises stay warm about 24/7 (the exception is when I place them into a temporary cup for cleaning, they stay there for 5 minutes at the very most). They are misted daily.
Thank you for being so helpful! That's all good to know. I thought that it would possibly melt it, but I'm not really sure how hot heating pads get.

I notice a lot of ppl saying mist once a day, twice, or I keep mine on the dry side, etc.  BUT we are not told what their normal or relative humidity is. The humidity in Orlando, Fl. is usually 80 % or more. When you first get off a plane on a bad humidity day you would feel like you are breathing underwater. Lived there almost 20 yrs.  In Colorado Springs, Co., I saw rain fall in the sky that never hit the ground. Called Viragos they evaporate into the dry air. Host gave me a chap stick the first day after noticing my lips starting to crack and peel.

It is all relative to where the habitat is kept. In Fl., I would probably mist lightly or give drinks by hand. In Co., mist a lot more. Better yet get a humidifier.

Where I am now, in Arkansas Valley area, the humidity fluctuates between 75-80% down to 25-30% if house is closed due to cold temps. Pleasant yesterday at 65 F.   Today 76 F-mantis spent 3 hrs on porch and about 16 house flys are on ceiling. Humidity before opening room to outside porch was 28% in my room. 58% when I brought them back in. End of week back down to 40's. Last Nov. temps were as low as 17 F. Humidity here seems to swing wildly every few days. So each day I check and make adjustments.

Latest posts