Pine substrate?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PrayingMantisPets

Reaction score
I used to have a Guinea Pig that died recently due to old age. I still have some of her bedding. It is KAYTEE Pine for Small pet Bedding & Litter. Could i use this for mantis substrate? I know their is risk of mold but usually clean my mantises =containers every week.

Thanks,
Cameron :balloon:

maybe fine as long as you feed flying insects. crickets will burrow right into it. But those beddings are treated with oils and such so I don't know how that will affect mantises. On their website it says not to be used in closed environments.

I think if it is aspen bedding, it is ok.. the rest are hard on the respiratory system.. I learned that with bird breeding... & hamsters...

Looked up the brand and right on the site it states, "Not recommended for closed environments, such as habitrails or in aquariums with limited ventilation. Contains aromatic oils.

No telling what the aromatic oils even are, although maybe the bag itself gives more information? Mantises rarely hang around the ground but their prey items may very well burrow through it before getting themselves eaten.

Potential risks aside, mantises don't need substrate and if you are looking to hold extra humidity there are better options that are plenty cheap. In short, I would use the pine shavings for something else.

No, don't use that stuff for mantids. I don't think I'd even use it for a rodent.

When pine gets damaged, a whole variety of volatile substances designed to deter potential attackers is released. Pine is marketed as a bedding for pets because it's cheap and mildly insecticidal.

Latest posts