Pink Stagmomantis californica

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nirotorin

Reaction score
Found this pink Stagmomantis californica yesterday. I've never seen one like it before. She even has pink eyes, and metallic pink wings. Thought you guys might like to see it.

My Stagmo Calis are very normal color. That is so pretty. I wouldn't have known it to be a Stagmo cali :)

It's the lighting. I tried using the flash, but it was too bright. I wasn't happy with any of the pictures I took, but these were among the least terrible. They don't fully do this mantis justice.

I've had a few in that color scheme before.

I don't remember stripes, but I'll check the hindwings, and abdomen when I get home today. California mantis was just my best guess.

Yeah, I'd say that's a limbata! :) I've had several with that color scheme. Let me go grab a pic.

Edit: Here are pictures of two of mine that had that color - both limbatas. It's my favorite color of all in a limbata.

med_gallery_5808_220_150099.jpg
med_gallery_5808_389_1621288.jpg

~Wolfie

Last edited by a moderator:
Well you all seem sure enough for me. I guess no need to post hindwing pics. Looks almost exactly like that one. Thanks for posting your pics Wolfie.

Agent A don't worry about correcting me. I'm a novice for starters, and you were right.

I'm guessing most of us who use this forum find it very difficult not to correct others when they're wrong. At least when it comes to our creatures.

Agent A don't worry about correcting me. I'm a novice for starters, and you were right.

I'm guessing most of us who use this forum find it very difficult not to correct others when they're wrong. At least when it comes to our creatures.
another feature setting limbata and californica apart is the upper liplimbata have a saphire upper lip while californica dont

wolfie has a great pic showing this

She will lay an ooth, mated or unmated.. The offspring will probably not be pink. :( sadly
another feature setting limbata and californica apart is the upper lip

limbata have a saphire upper lip while californica dont

another feature setting limbata and californica apart is the upper lip

limbata have a saphire upper lip while californica dont

Thanks , I'll definitely be using that information in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
I WAS gonna say it may be limbata but I didn't want to be an @$$hole this time :p
Gez A, now you make me feel like one :p

So what are the chances of her making an ooth, and will the offspring be pink as well?
Mantis of Stagmomantis species can be of different colors depending on the surrounding and humidity. But based on my experience, once the mantis turn into darking color morph, it will not change back to green or lighter color, apart of the short moment after molting.

Latest posts