Proper Introduction

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob dobbs

Reaction score
Hello, I have been fascinated by praying mantis since I was a child, and I have always welcomed their presence, so I was delighted when this one crawled into my window four months ago. I got her a plant to hang out on and began feeding her crickets every few days. Last week I noticed a couple of oothecae but there is no males present. I live three stories up in an alley downtown and was a little surprised to see her. She appears to be pregnant again. There is a photo of her today 11-17-19 under my profile. I know parthenogenesis is a thing, but I have never seen it before. Could these be viable eggs, and how many sacs can she lay? I thought they only had 1. Any help would be much appreciated.

leone web.jpg

All females lay ooths. Mated or not.

They're like chickens. 🤣

Unmated females produce unfertilized ooths.

Parthenogenesis is very specific and unusual.

Never found in chinese, stagmomantis, europeans. Brunneria borealis, on the other hand, are 100pct parthenogenic with only females.

Thank you so much, I had no idea. I've never had one hang out for so long. I guess the warmth and crickets help. 

So, are these hiding about the room for me to find? How often will she lay them? 
Depends on metabolism, and that is governed by temps and availability of food.

Gravid adult females need A LOT of food. They prefer it warm too.

They could produce one every few weeks, I guess.

You'll just have to go on an egg hunt! 

Welcome to the forum! :D

Latest posts