Pseudovates arizonae (Arizona Unicorn mantis)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yen_saw

Forum Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally, my search for both elusive unicorn mantis in the USA is over. This is the Arizona unicorn mantis i have been looking for after the Texas Unicorn mantis, a big thanks to Francisco!!

The ooth from wild collected female

ooth1.jpg

Newly hatched nymph - looks almost identical to Texas Unicorn mantis

L1a.jpg

L1b.jpg

Awesome! But wasn't this the species that is difficult to breed in captivity?

Regardless, you seem to be having success with them.

wicked, very nice looking. You must have one heck of a good camera lens! The quality in them pics is amazing! How many of the little buggers hatched out?

-john_jb1-

Awesome! But wasn't this the species that is difficult to breed in captivity? Regardless, you seem to be having success with them.
Based on what i have heard, the mated female often poduces infertile ooth. If they are any similar to the Texas Unicorn mantis, i would keep the male for longer period of time, female starts to produce infertile ooth as early as after 3-4 oothecae.

wicked, very nice looking. You must have one heck of a good camera lens! The quality in them pics is amazing! How many of the little buggers hatched out? -john_jb1-
The ooth actually hatched during shipment :cry: i have only few to work with... need some lucks here! there were about 25 nymphs hatched out in total.

Congrats Yen! They are lovely, much like the Texas. Mine are thriving btw, thanks to you!

Yea that was bummer :( by putting extra effort on the survival i hope to see both adult native unicorn species (Texas and Arizona) on my hand, would be great don't you think? :wink:

Another moult gone, third instar now and small lobes starts to appear on the legs. That appear to be the only thing separating Texas unicorn and Arizona unicorn from the outlook. Can't believe they are not even in the same genus.

L3a.jpg

It has been 2 and half month now, the Arizona unicorn appear to take their own sweet time to grow. Maybe i haven't keep them warm enough, but i am pretty sure they have plenty to eat. Here are some pics of them, appear to be just 2 molts away from adult.

L6e.jpg

L6d.jpg

L6a.jpg

This species appear to be smaller than Texas unicorn, but have nice lobes on legs and abdomen. They finally speed up their growth now.

SUbadult male

subam2.jpg

The one on the right is female with 2 molts away.

subamf1.jpg

Finally the first adult male of this elusive Arizona unicorn mantis, took a good 3+ months to mature, female is one molt behind. THe black spots on the adult male's wings are more apparent than the Texas unicorn mantis. The size is slightly smaller than the Texas unicorn.

am8.jpg

am6.jpg

am5.jpg

am2.jpg

am7.jpg

Thanks Andrew, the horn is about the same (as Texas unicorn) but slightly thicker, i am waiting for the female adult specimen. Will post them up when i have the first adult female ready. From Texas to Arizona, this is pretty cool i felt like the luckiest person now :D I can only hope they can breed for a new generation.

The lobes on the abdomen are neat on this species and the coloration is much stronger than Phyllovates. It is odd they're not in the same genus.

Nobody ever had trouble rearing them up, it's gettin them to produce viable oothecae. The problem is that unlike the Texas unicorn which is very easy, even if you get fertile oothecae nobody you send them to will so they'll either end with this generation or the next. I know, I sent out hundreds and nobody ever bred any of them.

Latest posts