Pseudovates arizonae (Arizona Unicorn mantis)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Orin, how many of those people in the past were Yen? If anyone can rear P. arizonae successfully, it will be Yen!! Yen, I would be happy to try hatching out one of the new ooths when you get a spare.

Well i knew this is not going to be an easy meat, but i will give it a try nevertheless. I have gone too far now to retreat! :D

It doesn't take too long for the female to mature, just a day after my first male moulted into adult, the other subadult female decided to get her wings too :)

af3.jpg

Here is the adult pair

pair1.jpg

pair3.jpg

Now it becomes apparent that adult female has different wing pattern compared to the Texas unicorn

compare1.jpg

compare2.jpg

Texas unicorn female in my culture also appear to be larger than the Arizona unicorn mantis (female)

compare3.jpg

Congrate on your Texas unicorn Becky :D will keep update here on how this species fare on breeding. The pair just moulted few days ago into adult, too shy to mate ;)

Well Orin, how many of those people in the past were Yen? If anyone can rear P. arizonae successfully, it will be Yen!! Yen, I would be happy to try hatching out one of the new ooths when you get a spare.
Reread the post, I didn't say Yen couldn't do it.

Please, i just want to share the update with this species, i appreciate the warning from Orin and your kind word Mike. Lets hope luck is on my side for the second time on this native unicorn species.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please, i just want to share the update with this species, i appreciate the warning from Orin and your kind word Mike. Lets hope luck is on my side for the second time on this native unicorn species.
Love the photos and updates Yen, just adding a little information. Also, maybe understanding the breeding isn't easy like Phyllovates will make your success more likely.

It's at least the third time. I sent out a bunch a few years ago and not as many on trades to breeders six or seven years before that.

Just what is so elusive about this species?

Do not tempt me - I like challenges, hehehe ;)

Was it the breeding itself or hatching of the ootheca(be it infertile, or whatever) that made this species difficult?

Just what is so elusive about this species?
By elusive i meant they are rarely found in the wild.

Was it the breeding itself or hatching of the ootheca(be it infertile, or whatever) that made this species difficult?
i am trying to find out myself. But if my memory didn't fail me it is the ooth infertility that was the concern. Is that right Orin?

By elusive i meant they are rarely found in the wild.i am trying to find out myself. But if my memory didn't fail me it is the ooth infertility that was the concern. Is that right Orin?
They're really easy to rear up to adulthood with nearly 100% survival and minimal care. The problem is just timing, mating and egg laying. Your 'power feeding' should take care of the first one or two but maybe not the third.

They are difficult to kill that's true! I have about only a dozen left after the ooth hatched during shipment but those that survived been doing very well. In fact, don't think any die yet and i have roughly a dozen of them left still. Current count are 2 adult females and 1 adult male, the rest are mainly at subadult stage. So timing should be alright. My concern right now is that i have female bias group, just hope the adult male knows what to do and females know when to lay ooth :) They seems to like very hot weather that's for sure.

Too many mantis, and too little time to update here :(

Another milestone reached. THey are easy to breed as male doesn't hesitate at all.

mate1.jpg

Now i need another two huge steps to "complete" this species, i.e. for female to lay an ooth and that the ooth is viable and hatch. Can't wait.

:blink: The same mantis produce another smaller ooth in less than a week?? My guess is this species can produce dozen of ooth just like the Texas unicorn.

ooth4.jpg

My second female produced an incomplete ooth..bummer :( I wonder if her next ooth be normal :huh: BUt my guess is that she wasn't kept in a warm spot, the first one was right under the heat lamp and her first ooth is HUGE.

inc2.jpg

The third female produced a normal ooth today..yay :D

ooth7.jpg

More update.... more females being mated and ooth being layed by different females, so far ootheca laying hasn't been an issue. Boy i better prepare more fruit fly culture cos if they all hatched i would be scrambling for one for sure.

ooth9.jpg

ooth8.jpg

YES!! here comes the first generation of Arizona unicorn mantis (Pseudovates arizonae), the very first ooth layed on 4th of Jan hatched out about 45 nymphs. For some reason i was expecting a larger hatch out rate due to the larger ooth size. Hopefully there are still more hatchling coming out from the same ooth but i am sure many more oothecae to hatch a lot more nymphs in near future.

hatch1.jpg

Latest posts