Pseudovates arizonae (Arizona Unicorn mantis)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! Congratulations, that's quite an accomplishment.

So here's a question...what made you successful with them when everyone else failed? :huh:

Congrats mate bet your well chuffed
Thanks Craig! I am :D

Wow! Congratulations, that's quite an accomplishment.So here's a question...what made you successful with them when everyone else failed? :huh:
First let me know if you are going to sell me the O. distinctus female :lol:

Nothing special on rearing / breeding this species, i will let my log do the talking.

http://www.usamantis.com/Parizonae_log.html

One thing i would like to add is that rearing/breeding Texas unicorn really help me in providing a better husbandry to this species.

Hey Yen,

All I can say is OUTSTANDING!!!! Glad to see your success! Hopefully the AZ unicorn will become a staple in the hobby.

45 nymphs isn't too bad. That's a nice managable number. Now, how many ooths do you have waiting to hatch? At say, 30-45 nymphs per ooth.... Man I hope you have several fruit fly cultures ready!

What a tease! You post a link to your log on the species, but it isn't updated! :lol: Just proves again that I need to learn to be patient!!

Thanks for the kind word Mike, i certainly hope this species can continue and became more readily available in the future. You will have the chance to rear them in the future i am sure ;)

I have many oothecae right now as this species is capable of depositing ootheca weekly when the condition is right and food are plenty. I need to update my webpage more often but like to bring the news in this forum in advance :)

Love to see hatching during weekend!! Here the second Arizona unicorn ooth hatched out about 70 nymphs!! Glad i've completed a generation for this species, the end of this thread for me for now. Thanks for following this dairy :)

hatch5.jpg

hatch4.jpg

Thanks Kruszakus, hopefully the rest of the ooth will continue to hatch and this can continue for generations. As Orin mentioned previously, it was unfortunate that this species just disappear without a trace even after he sold a bunch, the last time i saw them available was probably when i start breeding mantis back in 2004.

I hope you will establish it as a popular species - Texicorns are different, but they give a glimpse of what this species is, and I must say that when your family sees a group of unicorns and they go "wow", and compare it to monsters from Alien, you have this cool feeling, that you bugged out the heck out of them with those babies - yeah.

By the way - your unicorns moulted again - I'm closer and closer to the final stage, they should be ready by the end of March, yeehay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha i like the new nick name "Texicorn" :) they can grow up really fast when it is warm, i remember some of mine managed to mature into adult in as little as 70 days from hatching. But that duration could easily double with cooler temperature. Best of luck to your Texicorn!

Latest posts