Psuedocreobotra wahlbergii

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilinYuma

Reaction score
This will be an ongoing thread on raising and, I hope, breeding P. wahlbergii.

I got rwo ooths from Frey on August 10th. They were wre typical long, thin flower mantis type ooths, dark brown and about 3cm long. I put them in a hatching chamber at 80F/80%RF and both hatched about 100 tiny, sparkly black nymphs on 082011. they were very active and waved their raptorial claws at each other when they met which may have ben a territorial or recognition signal. the "sparkle' would seem to make them more obvious to predators, but in fact acts as a a form of "dazzle' or disruptive camouflage, especially when the nypns are moving.

I started the nymphs on a mixture of wild mels and hydei on the second day. I made the mistake of keeping over 100 nymphs in an extended 1gallon plastic jug with a standard cloth top. They would do better in a 12'cube.

The nymphs started molting to L2 around 092981 at 80F/45%RH and took at least five days tfor the whole bunch to molt, and then there were a few outliers. The L2s are still black, but with white markings and with much less "glitter". At L2 I started them on a mixture of hydei and small HFs.

Over the past few days, starting at about 090611, they have started moulting to L3 timing the molt for when I made shipments. As of 091011, many are still at L2.

To be continued!

Sounds great I have always wanted this species but I don't have the capacity to keep them right now. I will enjoy watching this thread. Can you get us any pics?

I've been raising mine in 80 ounce containers (4 to one enclosure) with some ivy glued to the lid and a silk flower glued to the side. I don't think my temperature and humidity guages are very accurate. So, I won't bother reporting on that as I have three different brands and placed them all in the same enclosure, and there is a huge difference. But I have been spraying my nymphs more than my mendicas but less than other nymph species, and I haven't lost any while molting yet.

Mine wave their raptorial claws at me whenever I remove the lid. They are really cute little nymphs.

Here are some photos.

L1

IMG2011-08-248621-L.jpg

L2

IMG2011-08-319129-L.jpg

L3

IMG2011-09-099759-L.jpg

Wow great photos. Are these guys ant mimics when young. From the videos I have seen these guys don't seem very people friendly always posing and flying.

Christmas came early and I got just what I wanted! :wub: Thanks Santa! :santa: I absolutely ADORE them.

Wally006.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Have 11 of these nymphs right now from Phil and will also be reporting on this thread about my experiences caring for and breeding them.

Currently 6 are L3 and 5 are L2. Housing them all in separate containers because I don't want to risk any of them being eaten as I don't have a very high number to work with right now.

Looking forward to raising these guys and they look sweet! Will be posting pictures of them soon. This is going to be a good thread :lol:

Oh and sweet pics Tammy, it would be great if you took a picture like that for each instar. You can really see the changes the mantis goes through.

I also have three (I know, so lonely). I wasn't brave enough to put them on House Flies at L2 (nice, Phil).

I'm keeping them in (arguably) poor conditions. About 72F on average, and humidity in the form of the occasional spritz (so 45-80RH in my office). And somewhat irregular hours of daylight, too. But I'm gambling that, as with Creos, they are more tollerant than previously reported. (Very) well fed, and (very) clean enclosures. So, it'll be interesting to see the differences...

I tried feeding small houseflies to my L3s but haven't noticed them catching any yet.

I found evidence that the first of my P. wahlbergii had molted again. It's an enclosure where I keep three together to keep better track of them. (These are the ones I use as mantis models.)

This should be an L4. These guys are still pretty small. At L1 and L2 the nymphs wouldn't sit still. I was lucky if I could take a photo or two before it took off. Today this one just sat and looked at the camera for the longest time.

IMG2011-09-160414-L.jpg

Wow some great pix. Phil are you still planning on using this forum as a care sheet/ journal for this species?

these pix are phenomenal!!! wow!!! lol

Phil, will you ever be selling some yellow orchids for Frey????

good luck to you all!!! if anyone has any extras let me know, i think i want to retry these after my disasterous first attempt

as you know i believe persistence pays, as evidenced with my recent pseudoharpax success after 5 failures

I know what you mean about failures with the gambians. I had 2 ooths and multiple nymphs and all I have left is an adult female. oh well. I have had my eye on these guys forever. Hopefully with these going around and doing well they will be more widely available. My L4 grabbed and ate a BB this morning. I thought I'd just try it out and, to my astonishment, it was breakfast time! I took a couple pics and will post when i get home. They aren't the best...We'll leave that to Tammy and Precarious. :blush:

Like I said... :lol:

wallyandbb005.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to all who have shared what you have about this fine species. Phil, please keep it up for us. Tammy, what nice pics of some cooperative models! Good luck with them all.

Here are a few pics of my little guys, all are at L3. Not the greatest of pics but they show the set ups I'm currently housing them in and the size of the wings of the moth that the little on ate. The moth was longer than the mantis but it still ate it so I'd say these are pretty aggressive!

Well enjoy :lol:

81fcee51.jpg

93e90603.jpg

Mantidsaresweet, it's always nice to see someone else's photos and set ups.

I'm still raising mine communally but have them separated in 3 containers. I moved one group to a net enclosure in preparation for a trip. I hope they do OK if they have to molt. I really love this species.

I noticed that mine have gotten a lot lighter but I haven't seen any skins in the containers with the L4s. So, I think that my L4s have lightened quite a bit. They look similar to Patrick's L4's. The green is really showing up now.

IMG2011-09-220828-L.jpg

Latest posts