Psuedocreobotra wahlbergii

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a dozen nymphs at L1/L2, still have a dozen. Each has its own deli cup with a silk colored plant (either purple or pink) with reptibark in the bottom. I really soak the bark every morning. There are no noticeable differences in color, and the females are subadult and males are presubs. I could have gotten the fogger on them, but this was used to incubate the desiccata ooths (slightly more important than wally color!).

One problem is that my room has white carpet, white walls, etc. This could be preventing any coloration from forming. I need more tight parameters if any solid results are to be obtained.

I plan on doing more when and if I am able to get more nymphs to work with. On the uk forum the have a purple one. OOOOOOOOH!

Pinky.jpg

I am up to 3 adult males and 2 adult females. No molting problems at all. The last 3 females of this bunch are not far behind. I see one of them "pulsing" tonight.

I was able to coax a threat pose out of my female. Here it is. Fierce little buggers.

DSCN15301.jpg

I was able to get a male onto a female last night about 7pm. I have seen no connection, but he's still riding today. I've added BB, just in case she gets peckish. The humidity is about 50% and temp is 75-80. They have both been adult for a month. Is there anything else I could do???

I would think they would eventually connect. Your temperature sounds like the range mine was in when I mated mine. Try another male if they don't connect. My females were really well fed so that they were interested in mating and not food.

I have sucessfully mated all 5 of my females, and they all have laid ooths now. They are really dark compared to Creos. Hopefully they are fertile.

It took me a while to get my first three females mated. It was about four weeks after they had molted to adults. The first male wouldn't even get on the female. So, I waited a day and then used a different male. The original male that wouldn't mate with my first female mated with another female a few days later. I noticed my last two females that molted to adults on December 3 were wagging the rear of their abdomens up and down about three weeks after they molted to adults. I put males in with them, and both pairs mated right away and stayed connected for a really long time. Since then, I've see my other females doing that now and then. Is that what you call pulsing? I don't know if they are calling and giving off pheromones or if that behavior means something else. But both females were receptive to mating right away.

After selling/trading 2 of my males, I was still left with 6 adult males. So, I left three of my males in with the females. I noticed two of the pairs mating again. At around 10 days of co-habitating, two of the males were eaten. Only the wings were left behind. I love the p. wahlbergii and hate losing any of them. But I need to reduce the number of enclosures and mantids because I'll be out of town for a while later this month.

Tammy, if u r looking for someone to take a few wahlbergii nymphs off your hands let me know, I may want a few (by a few I mean half a dozen small wahlbergii nymphs at most, trying to cut back on mantises for a while but a few wahlbergii won't hurt) ;)

These guys r so cool!!!

I'm very happy to report that I had a p. wahlbergii ooth hatch earlier this morning! Yeah. This was a medium sized ooth that was laid on 12-29. So far there are around 20 nymphs.

I had another ooth that hatched while I was away on a trip for 12 days, but it did not produce any live nymphs. All of my p. wahlbergii ooths were still misted when I was away.

I have been a failure. :( All my males were chomped.
Are you sure that none of them mated before they were eaten? I sold one male, traded a couple, and eventually the rest of mine were eaten. However, none of the females ate the males before mating. I even had two pair that lived together for 14 - 19 days before the females finally ate the male.Someone on the forum had posted that she only had males. Did you ever contact her to see if she still had them?

I had put the males and females together and they just seemed to want to ride. I never saw any connections, but it may have occured. The males rode females for 2-3 days before they disappeared. Only time will tell. I'll cross my fingers and toes.

Latest posts