raising bottle flies

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramona

Reaction score
I would like to be able to raise blue bottle flies for the mantis we are keeping in my biology classroom. I live in SD and getting the larvae shipped to me in the coldest winter months is pratically impossible as is the shipping of crickets during the coldest months. I have not done this before and need any advise you may have. Maybe someone has the information already on their website. If so, please tell me where to look. Thanks. Ramona

I would like to be able to raise blue bottle flies for the mantis we are keeping in my biology classroom. I live in SD and getting the larvae shipped to me in the coldest winter months is pratically impossible as is the shipping of crickets during the coldest months. I have not done this before and need any advise you may have. Maybe someone has the information already on their website. If so, please tell me where to look. Thanks. Ramona
Good for you, Ramona. I have reported in this forum a successful method of raising bluebottle flies in 12" cubes with a minimum of odor. I am mixing up a new batch of larval food today. PM me with your snail mail addy and I shall send you enough of the culture medium to get you started and detailed instructions, at no cost to you. All that I ask in return is that you post your results here.

Phil, u r a sweetie!

On another note, I sell pupae and ship in winter and they do fine. much better than summer shipping. ;) But if in doubt, due to where u r located, when u buy, always purchase insulation , and that should help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good for you, Ramona. I have reported in this forum a successful method of raising bluebottle flies in 12" cubes with a minimum of odor. I am mixing up a new batch of larval food today. PM me with your snail mail addy and I shall send you enough of the culture medium to get you started and detailed instructions, at no cost to you. All that I ask in return is that you post your results here.
I did so right away. have you had a chance to send me your information?

Thank you,

Ramona

I did so right away. have you had a chance to send me your information?

Thank you,

Ramona
I'm sorry. According to the P.O., your package should arrive tomorrow, Thursday. I'll P.M. you now!
smile.gif

Hey, Ramona! I'm glad to see that you are still checking out the forum, but I still haven't heard from you! I sent you free housefly medium, detailed instructions and a 12" cube to hold the flies, and you were going to report on how the experiment went. No word so far, even though I PM.ed you, but now that the Xmas vacation is here, maybe you can find a few minutes to tell us how it went.

Latest posts