Raising Mantids

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csheafer

Reaction score
I am going to be hatching out some mantises and was planing on keeping them to 3rd instar (or whenever I can sex them) in small plastic viles

1 inch by 3 inches. From there they will move to deli cups, then to gal size pretzel containers. 1 each.

Is the vile going to be big enough to keep them in until they are sexed?

thanks

Chris

I don't think so. I would go with the standard deli cups to ensure plenty of room.

Chinese praying mantis.... at least I think that's what they will be.

I have a place where there are dozens of ootheca and the most common seems to be the Chinese praying mantis.

All of the ootheca are quite large.

Im planing on hatching out 2 of them from different areas and getting males from one, females from the other for mating.

I think you should go with something bigger. It would be very easy for a mis molt in such a small area, and misting could cause way to much moisture in the container.

OK, I'm convinced on the deli cups. With the molting such an issue I do think that the deli cups would have a better chance.

Thanks ya all for your input.

Give them as much room as you can. Chinese mantises love to roam and move about.

Latest posts