Restless Male

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coneja

Reaction score
My adult boy, Siri, has been very calm up until this point, sitting on my hand and going with me everywhere around the apartment without even a wing flick. This last Monday he took his first short flight, from my hand to my chest. Since then, he's been extremely restless in his Kritter Keeper, roaming around the ceiling repeatedly. I am curious as to what caused this behavior change: did he really just figure out he could fly? The only other mantis I have is an L3-L4 female and they live on two separate shelves so I don't think this restlessness has anything to do with her. He's been an adult for a little over a month now...

I'm also a bit concerned about taking him out now, since my biggest fear is that he'll fly off randomly and I'll never see him again. But, I still want to handle him as much as possible. So the only thing I can think of doing right now is taking him out in the bathroom: the smallest, securest room I have at my disposal. Has anyone else had to do something similar? Also, is this increase in restlessness temporary that he can shake off with some "exercise" or is it just him being a flighty male from here on out, now that he realizes he has wings? (I realize all mantids are different but I just wanted to see if this sudden behavior change is a common pattern...)

He has come of age and wants to track down the ladies. Even if he doesn't sense any pheromones he will still be driven to roam in search of them. They tend to be more active at night but can scoot around a lot during the day too if they are in a walking mood.

I have two newly-adult T. sinensis, Orion and Twitch. I feel guilty raising them out-of-season, meaning they're ready to mate but - here in the Philadelphia region - wild ooths are just beginning to hatch. There won't be any hot babes ready until August. I have bought them both subscriptions to Playmantis and MaximMantis, but it's just not the same. :blush:

Neither have tried to fly anywhere yet. Twitch can't since his wings dried in an F-15 formation and don't work. I let him climb around on porch plants since he can't fly. Picture of him guarding a tomato plant is below. Orion goes outside but has to stay in his condo.

twitch-on-tomato.JPG

jungle-twitch.JPG

Lol. Playmantis. My creo male was like that also. As long as he couldn't hurt himself I would still hold him... only inside. On the other hand, Sweeny my R. Stalli male calmed down after mating and just likes to relax in one spot :)

Hmmm... interesting. I'm glad I read this, tells me a little bit more of what to expect. I'm learning so much in here (this forum)! :smarty:

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I was wondering, but had thought they only got that way in response to females calling. Guess not. :rolleyes: Will he calm down in a week or so or do they stay frisky for the rest of their lives? I'm not going to mate him: don't have a female, nor do I want to risk him losing his head. (Sorry, Siri, it's a boring but long life for you!)

Nice pictures, Digger; I can practically smell that tomato plant. Siri's got a bit of a crumpled underwing, which I was secretly hoping ( :blush: ) would prevent him from flying so I wouldn't have to worry about this. (That probably makes me a bad caretaker.)

You can see his wing below: on the left side of his body, just a little crumpled. (Looks like glue in the first picture, and it's tough to see with the majesty palm backdrop in the second one.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Really, they all get that ruffle? I had no idea, thanks!

I took him out last night in the Siri-proofed bathroom and of course, he was content to "lay down" on my hand and just chill pretty much the entire time. I figure now he'll only start flying when I'm not prepared for it, because that's how those things work. :)

Haha, I'll have to have my friends take him, as I only have the vaguest sense of bars around here! (Friday and Saturday night are for homework, not drinking! ;) ) Thanks for the great visual image of one of my roommates dancing with Siri perched on her wrist...

Latest posts