Rhombo' and 'Chaeta logs

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was a mistake and he wanted to remove it xD, but here is one of my female Rhombodera fuscas :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sally im so glad that you and ian have it down now! Chaetas will rule the world eventually lol. I miss rhombo so bad though..

Quick update, cant believe its been so long.

Chaetas have turned to pre subadult. I can tell the ones i havent really interacted with because they get scared when i grab them off a stick and pull a rhombo, and by that i mean lay flat, only bad thing between both of them being scared.. When chaeta lays flat he bites lol..

20151209_091458.jpg

http://s5.postimg.org/b2rwr4x3a/20151209_091458.jpg

20151209_091720.jpg

http://s5.postimg.org/m3n1w5pc6/20151209_091720.jpg

Awesome!

And were you able to breed the rhombos? Seems like there's a sudden lack of rhombos in culture, at least here in the US. What species is the one in your photo from August? R. stalli or valida? I'm really bad at telling rhombos apart!

I was never successful with rhombodera

At one point i had 10 adults and i still couldnt get them bred, the males are not long lived and the females take a while to start calling. Its not a walk in the park since rhombo is one of the most aggressive.. The only members ive seen that were continually successful in breeding rhombodera valida are sally and precarious, who brought them in culture.

Wish more people would try, rhombodera stalli and basalis are significantly smaller than valida.

I was never successful with rhombodera

At one point i had 10 adults and i still couldnt get them bred, the males are not long lived and the females take a while to start calling. Its not a walk in the park since rhombo is one of the most aggressive.. The only members ive seen that were continually successful in breeding rhombodera valida are sally and precarious, who brought them in culture.

Wish more people would try, rhombodera stalli and basalis are significantly smaller than valida.
Yeah, seems like it's difficult to keep rhombos going. I was able one R. stalli generation, but lost my culture shortly after. Right now I have three mated R. basalis females. One male got eaten while the other died randomly after just two months of adulthood. Will have to see how things go this time around. They have a tendency of getting eggbound or laying eggs that fail to hatch. :(

Yeah, seems like it's difficult to keep rhombos going. I was able one R. stalli generation, but lost my culture shortly after. Right now I have three mated R. basalis females. One male got eaten while the other died randomly after just two months of adulthood. Will have to see how things go this time around. They have a tendency of getting eggbound or laying eggs that fail to hatch. :(
Possibly we need to do a Rhombo partnership?Where atleast 3 breeders are trying to breed them And keep swapping until a pairing works out? It could get confusing and dangerous having mantids shipped constantly but Im sure someone can figure out how to get more of these in culture!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts