Rhombo' and 'Chaeta logs

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how are everyones Rhombos doing? ive seen basalis here lately looks like the US has stock now of valida, basalis and stalli!

I have a few updates

20140319_124753.jpg

two of my rhombodera females have laid so far, really dont know if these ooth are fertile as i never seen a connection but there was a male that was in her cage for a week before she ate him so i do have some hope..

20140319_125653.jpg

20140319_105140.jpg

I witnessed my first chaeta mating! i know they are a very shy sp so it was a pleasant surprise to see.

Is anyone still keeping chaetas? I know they are not easy to raise... i still have 3 more adult females and 10 adult males. really hoping to spread some of these,
My lone adult male chaeta is lonely :) He is doing great though. My R validas are laying well. I am waiting on my first hatch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh good! Im glad, the chaeta look like a sweet mantis. Looks like they are going to stay in culture. Can you say who the ooth came from?

Most likely fron the only person I would trust overseas in this matter, the same source, was it lars sally? Either way my chaeta laid her first ooth! I'm sure ill have some little chaeta runnin around soon enough :)

Just as a heads up to anyone breeding R.valida. The males remain connected for about 36 hours so it is difficult to miss a connection.

Rhombo valida hatch :D The ooth was laid Feb. 5th
AWESOME! Congrats! Looks like a big hatch. Did you count? Looks like more than the 50 most report. I'm still get hatches over 300. Hopefully yours was in that range.

Chaetas first ooth, I'm sure their will be many more to come ;)
You beat me to breeding this species! Congrats! I hope the culture keeps going for many generations to come.

Just as a heads up to anyone breeding R.valida. The males remain connected for about 36 hours so it is difficult to miss a connection.

AWESOME! Congrats! Looks like a big hatch. Did you count? Looks like more than the 50 most report. I'm still get hatches over 300. Hopefully yours was in that range.
I had a hatch of easily 150. I don't know what I did wrong but by the next day only about 50 survived. They are holding strong now though. A new ooth was just laid so hopefully I can try and make the mortality rate not so high somehow next time :S

Last edited by a moderator:
It just hatched today :)
Wow! You are kicking butt!

I had a hatch of easily 150. I don't know what I did wrong but by the next day only about 50 survived. They are holding strong now though. A new ooth was just laid so hopefully I can try and make the mortality rate not so high somehow next time :S
It may be the mother was not fed enough before she laid. They can really eat. Avoid crickets but roaches and super worms are good. Or it may have been how you housed them. They need a lot of space with lots of hiding places. I'd suggest a 12X12 net cage with lots of vines and branches, and 3 sides covered with plastic to help hold humidity. You especially need to break up the space up top where most will hang out. I like to safety pin vines across the top. If they are overcrowded they get stressed and die. Will also lead to more cannibalism.

Few updates,

My captive bred chaeta ooth hasn't hatched yet, but my fingers are crossed I know they can take over a month to break out. But in exactly a months time, she laid another one! keep em coming baby

20140425_081113.jpg

20140425_081130_0.jpg

She guards the ooth till it dries

Latest posts