Ru's Mantids!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rudebega

Reaction score
These are my t. sinensis. There are many like them, but these are mine. 

A friend bought an ooth from Home Depot for his garden, and kindly kept a few for me because he knew I wanted to try to raise some. 

Three-day-old nymphs, April 10th: 

mgLJS1j.jpg

I started out with six, but one died the first day, and I lost another to mismolt the day after that, leaving me with four. I quickly moved them into individual enclosures to eliminate the risk of cannibalism (and to prevent further mismolts). I just used stuff I had around the house; some small mason jars, cotton fabric, and plastic fish plants, with moist paper towels for humidity. New homes, April 16th (still at L1): 

bzMSXh1.jpg

RbqDzRb.jpg

The rest survived their first molt! Here they are at L2, around April 22nd: 

Fy9UE4P.jpg

MlWnr7Q.jpg

And they just hit L3 a few days ago!

FZ4SsJp.jpg

Munchin' flies:

gRllUQZ.jpg

As a first-time mantid owner, I do have some behavior questions, maybe some more experienced invert peeps can help explain? Sometimes the little dudes sit perfectly still at the bottom of their container in a "superman" pose, arms outstretched straight ahead and body rigid. First time I saw one doing that, I thought the little guy was dead and opened the jar to check on him--only for him to leap out and run around the table, arms still superman stiff. I thought I'd messed up and interrupted a molt so I got him back in his jar ASAP, but no molt happened for another five days. I've noticed the others doing it too; am I doing something wrong or is this normal mantid behavior? If so, what are they doing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Rude,

I've raised a lot of Tenodera sinensis.  Many breeders snub them as too common.  I love 'em.  Most mantids prefer to hang upside-down on top of the container or diagonally on a branch or stick.  However, some will spend time on the "floor."  The raptor forelegs are normally held closed and up against the body.  Occasionally I've seen sp. (particularly Tenodera s.) at rest with raptors outstretched as you describe.  Like you, I have no idea why.  But, as you found out, it doesn't seem to indicate that there's anything wrong.  Although - if you even suspect a molt is pending, leave them alone.  The less stress, the better, at molt time.  Great pic of your nymph on the hand as a "look-out!"

Thanks, Digger! Yeah, I love the t. sinensis. I don't see many mantids around here, so having them in my house feels somewhat miraculous. I DID find a female stagmomantis carolina (I think!) last fall, hanging around the trashbins, and completely geeked out. Took a million pictures: 

9ZAbGgd.jpg

I was like "HELLO BEAUTIFUL BUG FRIEND" and she just kept doing that weird wobble-walk they do, staring at me like "I'm just trying to find a place to lay eggs/die, leave me alone, jfc" 

I DID find a female stagmomantis carolina (I think!) last fall, hanging around the trashbins, and completely geeked out. Took a million pictures:

You are right she was a Stagmomantis carolina. ;)

In time you will start to discover lots of mantids in your area, and their ooths. After raising them for awhile you get use to their camouflage and movements, and they will start to stand out in the wild for you.

I once thought my area was pretty bare of mantids, but actually discovered it is a Carolina mantis haven, and have a small Chinese mantid community too. Last fall I caught about 2 dozen Carolina mantids from pre-sub to adult, and collected over 30 ooths. I collected 5 adult Chinese mantids and about a dozen ooths. All from my 45'x90' (something like that) city lot that includes a driveway, the house itself, and a carport. :D

Oh I hope so!! I spend a lot of time gardening and I am always on the lookout for insects, but I never see mantids. 

I took some better pictures, although I wish I had a camera and not just my phone. They'll get easier to photograph as they grow, at least (and I'll get my photog friend and her Nikon over to take some glamour shots): 

vqxXweD.jpg

gJkPfwg.jpg

8nWdXHd.jpg

9ueNZGa.jpg

Oh I hope so!! I spend a lot of time gardening and I am always on the lookout for insects, but I never see mantids. 

I took some better pictures, although I wish I had a camera and not just my phone. They'll get easier to photograph as they grow, at least (and I'll get my photog friend and her Nikon over to take some glamour shots): 

You will in time, but some areas can be rather sparse on mantids too. If that is the case you can always get some ooths to hatch outside, I sold about 30 Carolina ooths a few moths back and most are being used for that. :)

It is nice to have any DSLR camera. If your friend doesn't have a true macro lens (for extreme close-ups) find out what their lens filter diameter is for the most common lens and get a reversing ring to fit it (like this one). With it you mount the lens backwards and get photos like the one I got of my Carolina girl Susanna although the original is much larger and even more detailed at that size...

cosbyart3-preview.jpg

Took a vid of one of my lovely L4s chilling on my arm and enjoying some grown-up food! The bigger the prey, the more fun it is to watch them eat--I especially love when they slurp up the antennae like spaghetti. It's amazing that they eat every last bit! 

I was lucky enough to receive some BEAUTIFUL h. venosa nymphs from Mantis Monarch! I took a few pics of them out in the sunlight, their colors are unreal. This is Venus, my favorite: 

tumblr_o7tgw45pJS1qk4f11o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_o7tgw45pJS1qk4f11o2_1280.jpg

I can't wait to watch them grow! <3

Recieved three orchids from Mikhail. So smol. So perf. Lowkey life dream achieved 

mXl4exQ.jpg

I gotta take more pics of the h. venosas I got from mantismonarch, too, they are turning out STUNNING

Time for an update! 

The four h. venosa girls are subadults, and thriving.

Nefertiti: 

slMMvUe.jpg

Boadicea: 

dmWXBV3.jpg

Venus:

cCROTzK.jpg

And last but not least, Sekhmet: 

1fNBhnv.jpg

My two tenodera sinensis are now also subadults. Xia: 

t7kRLV4.jpg

sX97aQe.jpg

And Song: 

c9KVhvm.jpg

gkW2DNY.jpg

And finally, all three of my little orchids molted last night! Cute little death fairies: 

fp3IpFx.jpg

Latest posts