S. limbata breeding 2009

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also plan to take out Mandy's 2nd ooth from the fridge tomorrow, it will have been exactly 1 month and would be predicted to hatch in about 4 more weeks.
Well, that prediction was WRONG! That ooth hatched today! Exactly two weeks after I took it out of the fridge.

3924741434_52e608de0b.jpg

3924740186_83a78fc8db.jpg

3924738480_2a4d6a78ac.jpg

3924736106_4e59183a46.jpg

So to recap, Mandy's first ooth took exactly 8 weeks to hatch.

The second one was out for 4 weeks, in the fridge for 4 weeks and then was out only 2 weeks till it hatched! I'll update with a headcount.

Man, those sure look cool hatching out like that! One of us really has to get the s. californica and start keeping that one. As i have only found one (on mexican sage) and i read in Insects of Los Angeles Basin that they prefer 'coastal sage' i expect this is probably the best place to look for these. If anyone finds some of these let me know

Kamakiri, if you have a chance perhaps you could put together a post discussing your findings about keeping s. limbata oothecae in the fridge - i have never done this and am keen on trying this. Did you spray them? What was the hatch rate? stuff like that :)

Man, those sure look cool hatching out like that! One of us really has to get the s. californica and start keeping that one. As i have only found one (on mexican sage) and i read in Insects of Los Angeles Basin that they prefer 'coastal sage' i expect this is probably the best place to look for these. If anyone finds some of these let me know
Watching them hatch never gets old for me...I guess I'm just a big kid. If I can find any californica, you can bet I'll try to keep them!

Kamakiri, if you have a chance perhaps you could put together a post discussing your findings about keeping s. limbata oothecae in the fridge - i have never done this and am keen on trying this. Did you spray them? What was the hatch rate? stuff like that :)
It was pretty simple the way I did it. First, I gotta say I believe that these and many other ooths do not generally need to be sprayed while incubating. Only for the period that they are expected to hatch. Since I was only planning to keep it in the fridge for a month, I decided that it shouldn't need spraying.

I use containers that are paper ventilated cups (from Smart-n-Final right across the aisle from the deli tubs at the store near me). I noticed that they are the same as some ooth vendors use for commercial sale.

I put enough excelsior to loosely fill the bottom third of the container. I sprayed the excelsior once with distilled water to make it surface damp, but not soggy. I didn't want the ooth rolling around like the ones I've seen in the garden stores, so I made a basket or cradle out of vinyl window screen to hold it in the center, so it wouldn't touch the sides or the damp excelsior. Put the ooth in put it in the fridge, in the door on the upper shelf, where it never freezes. Took the ooth out a month later and glued it back to the top of the kritter keeper where it came from one day later. Just used two low-temp glue dots on the ends.

I haven't done a head count yet, but the hatching seems better than the last. So far it has been less than 24 hours and it looks like it has hatched more than Mandy's first ooth in two days. Which might mean that the diapause just let them group together more/tighter...I'll know more when hatching is complete.

That's about it. I'll send you one of the cups if you want.

One interesting thing about Mandy's nymphs is that I can see that some are yellow-based morphs and others are green based. While I am excited to have found so many new (to me) morphs...I really want to cross the Mandy pink ones with the (very few) others from Sandra and Cherisse. It seems the selective breeding is making a difference even at the F1 generation.

Hey kamakiri, do you have any pics of Limbata with its wings out (showing the second set of wings)? I know someone with an unidentified mantis and we can't decide whether or not it's limbata, carolina, ect. Thanks a lot and congrats on the success.
Sorry :( I don't have any of the hind wings. But the adult limbata females have yellow or yellow/clear speckled wings and the males have been a dark/clear speckling. I wish I did take some pics, but the girls rarely had reason to display. Some of them would flutter their wings when I picked up their containers, but otherwise I rarely saw the wings.I did have some of the males out on occasion to fly...but their wings are not that spectacular.
*Sigh*, I lied...took this shot on 4/19. Forgot about the pics from this shooting day because the shutter died :(

Click for LARGE pic

3926623639_27dffda5b8.jpg

After watching some of my previously kept limbata girls searching for a place to lay, I decided that I'd try to use twigs that are closer in diameter to what I found in the wild. The rose twig that I found the ooth on was just over 3/32" in diameter and was found on a section that was nearly horizontal. Most of the branches that I was using in the critter keepers for laying were in the 1/2" to 1" range, and mostly diagonal in the 30 to 40 degree range.

So with the female (Athena) that I found mating last week, I decide to give her the options of the larger branches that I used to use, some fake flower/foliage/stems, and a few thin twigs both diagonal and horizontal directly mounted to the cage top with twist ties.

As I type, she is laying on the horizontal twig twist-tied to the cage top. I'll be giving all the females similar options to get a sample set of data.

Gwyn laid an ooth this weekend after mating last weekend. She didn't use the lid-mounted twig, but chose a plastic rail that borders the perimeter of the door. Same type of place that Mandy put her two ooths.

Most of the recently caught females are mated. The last wild caught male (Daniel) with one arm molted to adult today.

Kamakiri, did any of your second gen mantids have crinkle wings?
I've been wondering about that too. The only ones that I'm watching for it are from Cherisse, and there a few subadult males...so I should know soon. I've had three wild caught males molt to adult, so I'm thinking that my current keeping conditions should help me figure out if it is genetic or environmental. I suspect the latter.

Just took a look after I typed the above, and one of Cherisse's male sons molted to adult overnight and is normal winged.

Grant, Sept. 17th's nymph pics are awesome! ;)
Thanks, Rebecca! :D Compliments on Mondays are especially nice!

I can't seem to remember, do you have the canon MPE-65?
Yup, and probably one of the reasons why I stick with Canon. Well, that and there's a service center not far away from me.

I've been meaning to convert one of my Sigma cameras to EOS (Canon) mount...I'd love to see what the MP-E would do on the Sigma DSLR.

EDIT: And might as well post an update...

The wild-caught yellow female (mated with the first 'dark' WC male) laid an ooth yesterday morning 9/30/09 on a horizontal narrow twig not strapped to the lid, but about 1" below it. This ooth seems longer than average.

A deep green wild-caught female laid an ooth overnight last night on the cloth deli lid. She was mated with the '2nd batch' WC green male. She was in the tub and not a 'prepared' keeper for laying because she was mated overnight just the night before. She was tapping the top of the lid with her ovipositor late last night. I did not want to disturb and relocate her.

The green-pink female was laying this morning (mated with the first 'dark' WC male). This ooth was being laid vertically from top-down on the side of the lid/top and will probably be on the clear sides when finished.

Still waiting for 2nd ooths...and for the red/purple one to lay.

All of the females were inspected for the 'tell-tale' puncture marks for indication of mating in the wild. There was only one with clear markings, and she also has not laid since caught. I suspect she did lay an ooth prior to catching her because she was relatively thin. Thin enough to speculate that if she didn't lay, then she also didn't recently eat her mate. The only (two) females caught while mating were fat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, and probably one of the reasons why I stick with Canon. Well, that and there's a service center not far away from me.I've been meaning to convert one of my Sigma cameras to EOS (Canon) mount...I'd love to see what the MP-E would do on the Sigma DSLR.
As Im sure I've already said, that lens is the only reason I would go dual system (I love my pentax system to death so thats why I'd go dual system.). That and their macro flash (not the ring light).

Cherisse's (ooth) laid while barely alive stuck on the zipper upside down ooth has hatched! :D That was just over two months incubating in the mid-70s fahrenheit from 5/1 to 7/10 yesterday.
Forgot to report the first adults from this batch (Cherisse) were: male molted on 9/28 and female on 10/1. I don't have records what day those individuals hatched, but that means they made adult in less than 3 months. (maximum 11 weeks, 3 and 6 days respectively).

The red/pink one was laying an ooth on her lid this morning on the rim of the opening like many others have done. Except that it was laid right next to one of the twigs mounted to the lid, and may be touching it on the side.