Screen vs. Glass Top

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I have a divided 2.5 gal tank that I am using for my two mantids (a creo and a mystery mantis)..I have both a glass lid that came with the tank as well as a mesh top that I made for it with plastic screening.

The main reason I am wanting to use the glass top is because it is easier to remove and replace than the one I made, but I am concerned that using the glass top may limit ventilation too much..it's not air tight, but obviously no where near as ventilated as the screening..

Thoughts? Suggestions? :helpsmilie:

I find screens better for fish tanks and all the screens I use are metal and fold in half and are easy to clean and remove!

You can buy screen lids for those tanks. Go with the screen lid. Mantids like to hang from the top and you need the ventilation.

Many a mystery death can be simply poor ventilation, so even if you want high humidity you still always need air flow.

That was my thought..I just couldn't find any at my local stores..I'll go online for one, then =)
I was able to find some in a dark corner of a local store. After that I had to order online. And if you're using the small tanks with the plastic trim that accept two dividers you can cut a notch in the center for another divider. This way you can divide the tank into thirds and keep three mantids in there instead of two.

Latest posts