sexual maturity question

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When they do their final molt to adulthood (get their wings) they are sexually mature 3 to 4 weeks from that last molt. At that point many keepers begin breeding the females so their first ooth is fertile as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
as the males have a shorter lifespan, would it make sense that male orchids reach sexual maturity before 2-3 weeks?
Males may reach maturity a bit quicker, but I wouldn't try it until they are 3 weeks old.

I pulled up the caresheet for Orchids and it is 3 to 4 weeks for sexual maturity. It seems the main issue for Orchids is getting fertile ooths from the species, that task itself is rated at a "expert" care level (from the datasheet). I personally haven't kept Orchids so can not give any tips on getting fertile ooths.

I do know the Japanese boxers (Acromantis japonica) species I kept recently I did not get any fertile ooths; although, I witnessed the male successfully connect with the female on at least two separate occasions. In that regard perhaps it isn't a stretch to label species as one level of care, but producing fertile ooths as another. Hopefully the Orchid keepers will respond with some tips.

Latest posts