should i get a katydid?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beckyl92

Reaction score
i've been interested in them for a few month now. if you keep/ have kept them before can you please tell me the negatives about them :) thanks

I've kept Caedicia simplex for a little while. Not my cup of tea but they're interesting critters.

Positives: they are really easy to keep; lettuce is an adequate food source; feeding them on rose petals makes them turn pink!

Negatives: do not keep adults in your bedroom cos they start screaming in the middle of the night:); they don't have the personalities mantids have.

I've kept Caedicia simplex for a little while. Not my cup of tea but they're interesting critters.Positives: they are really easy to keep; lettuce is an adequate food source; feeding them on rose petals makes them turn pink!

Negatives: do not keep adults in your bedroom cos they start screaming in the middle of the night:); they don't have the personalities mantids have.
just normal lettuce?

and i have a bug shed :) hmmm i think i'll get one.

I've had a mantis bite me and it doesn't even hurt, kinda tickles, but the claws are what pinch! Katydids bite, only if you rough handle them though. Be careful with conehead katydids, they have large jaws and their bites do hurt... but with True katydids and any other sort of ordinary katydid, they are pretty tame. Only males chirp, I believe.

Yes you should. A katydid will make a fine meal for a large mantis.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have owned a few diff types before there really cool I like em alot some of the males make noise with there wing and legs ! some species are soooo colorfull ! hope you have luck (Peter) can prob help you find what you want ! have a happy holiday! Chris they will eat greens and catfood/dogfood!and also fichfood flake... :)

Yes you should. A katydid will make a fine meal for a large mantis.
I kept Neobarrettia spinosa, an obligate predator, in the past and not even an adult Sphodromantis or Hierodula would stand a chance.

It looks very menacing! :eek:
It scared me right out of this thread!
ScaredCringingCoveringEyes.gif

Latest posts