silverfish and fire brats

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nirotorin

Reaction score
Anybody else tried breeding these things? So far I haven't had much luck. I've had around a dozen, or so adults since summer. I raised the temperature the other day. I'm thinking maybe that will help.

I've tried but you need high temps and then desiccation is an issue. And then only the mantids that eat anything consider eating them.

I raise both for dead stock sales, but neither is very prolific. The firebrats seem easier than the silverfish. Heat, dry, oatmeal and cardboard pieces. I think I got the firebrats from somebody here on the forum a while back. I make only a half effort with them, but don't really need them to do much better than they do.

I also half attempt a culture of jumping bristletails though they are easier for me to simply collect 9 months of the year as I need them. We also collect and ~maintain colonies of symphylans...and diplurans, I think. And other stuff ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure if I have firebrats, or silverfish. I just collected them off of some old plywood. They do seem a lot more active now that I've raised the temperature. I was planning on feeding them to Skilton skinks. I'm guessing I won't have enough of them for that for a while though.

Those symphylans look pretty interesting. Are they good feeders? How can I get a culture of those going?

Latest posts