Slowing the growth of a male Orchid Mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the article linked above:

The best way to go about breeding orchids is to aquire a female, and once she is a couple sheds from adult, aquire a young male around L2-L3. Feed them both well. Never try to feed them less to slow them down.
I've not raised Orchids, so I can't comment on the fertility mentions (I'm skeptical on the infertile claim) but I would agree the above sounds like "the best way."

In an ideal scenario, we would mimick nature and mature males and females would be available without any special tinkering to food supply or temperatures. But unfortunately, most hobbyists/breeders in the US probably don't have access to an L3 male when their female is a couple of molts away. So they/we must make do with what is available.

From the article linked above:

I've not raised Orchids, so I can't comment on the fertility mentions (I'm skeptical on the infertile claim) but I would agree the above sounds like "the best way."

In an ideal scenario, we would mimick nature and mature males and females would be available without any special tinkering to food supply or temperatures. But unfortunately, most hobbyists/breeders in the US probably don't have access to an L3 male when their female is a couple of molts away. So they/we must make do with what is available.
It would be great if somebody in America does well with breeding Orchid Mantids and then has all of the ages. Like slowing a small group down a little bit and speed up another small group.

Last edited by a moderator:
you just have to snap up peoples offerings when they come up. I have stock from yen and buginthebox now, so I have an age gap I can work with. Ill probably try to snap up some from the next one who offers them as well so I have a nice little breeding group going. I refuse to inbreed any of my animals, so for me its ESSENTIAL to buy 10 lots or however many I can get from whoever offers them. The best way to keep this species going is going to be eliminating the inbreeding. Ooth hatchouts will be higher, fecundity will improve and we will get more diversity all around in terms of color from white to dark pink.

Basic genetics at work here...I know that inbreeding doesnt show negative impacts as early on in inverts as it does with vertebrates, but I guarantee it still creates negative impact

I think they are richt the first males that mature are bigger and are better with breeding and I think you have more time I have now still adult males from 30 september

no problem :D . i only bring this point up because breeding different peoples stocks can be VERY BAD. some stocks are slight different and when you breed them they can blur the lines of what used to be two closely related sub-species. for example orchid stock one is very yellow while orchid stock two is very pink. when they are breed you could end up with a white and no more pinks or yellows.

yeah well thats the thing. some times mixing stocks can create smaller/weaker nymphs.

Inbreeding must effect them after inbreeding many times. Maybe 20 times. I read that they are having problems with inbreeding.

Last edited by a moderator:
maybe after many many gens but for a hobbyist not a problem.

Latest posts