So this the one?!?! the 'elusive' Larger Florida mantis?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yen_saw

Forum Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a business trip to Tampa Bay recently, due to the extra free time I had a chance driving up North to check out any bugs in the park. Mainly after Stagmomantis sp. About 40 minutes later I saw a park which look like a good place for bugs, and lo and behold there is this 'extra' long mantis at first glance I thought it was foreign (Florida is notorious for hosting foreign sp), later there were more and more found, some were found pariring up and it is definitely too 'long' to be a Carolina mantis. I brought back dozens of them and they seem to fit in the description of Stagmomantis floridensis based on http://entnemdept.ifas.ufl.edu/choate/mantid_key2_03.pdf

11. Larger (58mm or more); form more elongate, abdomen of female nearly parallel-sided, tegmina

narrower, reaching only middle of abdomen; stigmatic patch pale, inconspicuous, or obsolete ..........

................................................................................

.................................... Stagmomantis floridensis Davis

- Smaller (57mm or less); form less elongate, abdomen of female strongly widened at middle, tegmina

broad, reaching apical third of abdomen; stigmatic patch black, conspicuous (cover photo) ...........

................................................................................

............................. Stagmomantis carolina (Johannson)

sf3.jpg

sf2-1.jpg

sf1-1.jpg

They average in 7-8 cm. Elongated with narrow tegima compare to S. carolina.

This is how they compare to the S. carolina (from MO) adult females. I am not picking the extreme here this 'S. floridensis' is the average 7.5 cm. I would be surprise if they are the same species.

sfvssc3.jpg

sfvssc1.jpg

Some females starting to produce ootheca today, they appear to be narrower than the S. carolina and longer as well just like their elongated body.

sfooth.jpg

This is the ooth of S. carolina recently deposited as comparison.

scooth.jpg

The longest I got is close to 9 cm long!!! :blink:

sfaf2.jpg

So the question is, did I nail it? is this the 'elusive' Stagmomantis floridensis? How on earth this species is not in hobby, maybe they don't do well in captivity? i also have few brown specimens they are gorgeous! They are very active despite the long body shape and will jump from the edge of the container. This is definitely the longest Stagmomantis sp. I have ever seen, if this is not S. floridensis. I will bring a specimen to Texas A&M for identification. I have about 9 males but they drop like flies as of today and only 2 survive, females are doing much better as usual.

Again, congrats on finding. I have been waiting to see if you would post the pics on here.

Great find yen! :eek: Finally someone has found the elusive Stagmomantis floridensis! ;)

Awsome looking specimens! B) Just keep me in mind when you have some for sale. ;) :lol:

QUOTE (massaman @ Sep 29 2009, 09:14 AM)

florida is not on the west coast

Nobody said it was.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all, i am contacting the U of F and Texas A&M entomology should get an answer soon. Unfortunately there is very limited existing info about this species on internet, so with the info about rearing/breeding/ooth incubating, i will just check the weather pattern and go from there. with the warm weather there I wonder if the ooth ever go through diapause at all.

My next bug hunting trip will be in Bentsen Rio-Grande-Valley State Park in McAllen, TX coming this mid October. I hope to find more Stagmomantis sp there.

Wow. The proportion of the body parts from that mantid differs from the Carolina mantid. Although I've never seen one, that may as well be the Larger Florida mantis. If not, then it's some Stagmomantis spps but it is clearly not a carolina in my eyes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts