So this the one?!?! the 'elusive' Larger Florida mantis?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is no key. This genus is in a horrible state, with about 20 species.
There is this Orthoptera, Mantidae by E. Giglio-Tos (1927) that has keys for most mantis species around the world, it doesn't has the keys for all 20 Stagmomantis species (In fact the only US Stagmomantis sp I can find in the book is S. carolina), does the key still valid for the other species in this genus?

There is this Orthoptera, Mantidae by E. Giglio-Tos (1927) that has keys for most mantis species around the world, it doesn't has the keys for all 20 Stagmomantis species (In fact the only US Stagmomantis sp I can find in the book is S. carolina), does the key still valid for the other species in this genus?
No. Giglio-Tos unnecessarily splitted Stagmomantis into 5 genera or so, and produced a lot of synonyms (e.g. Stagmomantis nordica for dark carolina). Using that key is very difficult, and some species are missing which they were described later.

[SIZE=14pt]hey Yen cool pics cool find man.[/SIZE]
Thanks ArkBlue.
No. Giglio-Tos unnecessarily splitted Stagmomantis into 5 genera or so, and produced a lot of synonyms (e.g. Stagmomantis nordica for dark carolina). Using that key is very difficult, and some species are missing which they were described later.
Thanks. I was wondering about S. nordica too. I thought some of them are useful although very old publication, but as you said some species name have been revised afterwards. Unfortunately over here in the US, Stagmomantis sp study were mainly conducted by James Rehn and Morgan Hebard and those publication are very old as well.

This is the best description I could find. It is out of "Technical Bulletin #93". Alas, I only kept the pages regarding mantids in AZ, so I can not give any sitation info.

"Stagmomantis gracilipes Rehn. A rare mantis, closely resembling others of the genus. Female usually yellow or golden; male brown or green. It is best distinguished by the long, slender legs and pronotum: male, body, 58mm.; pronotum, 19.5mm.; front femur, 13.1mm.; hind femur, 16.5mm. Female, body, 61mm.; pronotum, 21mm.; front femur, 17mm.; hind femur, 19mm. Adults, early, june 12 to July 17."

Rehn & Hebard did a good job, only sometimes they engaged too much in detail, loosing track of important features distinguishing species. But their work is very accurate and the figures are fantastic. What a pity that genital preparations weren't done at that time!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm.. Try thishttp://www.terra-typica.ch/

Then go to SpeciesDatabase >> MANTODEA (Blätter-Modus) >> Show matching organisms

That should work
Haha, thanks a lot.

Question: is there a specific reason why two Mantis religiosa adult females would have such a noticeable difference in size (the first pic on Mantis religiosa)? I ask because when I had my females, one was a monster compared to the other two, who were of normal size. And yes, all were found in the same general area.

Haha, thanks a lot.Question: is there a specific reason why two Mantis religiosa adult females would have such a noticeable difference in size (the first pic on Mantis religiosa)? I ask because when I had my females, one was a monster compared to the other two, who were of normal size. And yes, all were found in the same general area.
I have the same thing with tenedora angustipennis. Captive bred is tiny compared to wild caught. Could also be differences based on location.

I have the same thing with tenedora angustipennis. Captive bred is tiny compared to wild caught. Could also be differences based on location.
Mhm, my wild Chinese male was larger than my captive female. It sucked.

Mhm, my wild Chinese males was larger than my captive female. It sucked.
Even though both were caught in the wild and raised to an adult? Though the larger one was caught at a sub-adult and the other two were caught a couple of molts before adulthood. I guess that makes since.

Has anyones larger florida mantid ooths hatched yet? I have them and I hate waiting!

Has anyones larger florida mantid ooths hatched yet? I have them and I hate waiting!
Nothing from me yet. I leave most of the oothecae overwintering right now. My guess is the hatching pattern is similar to other Stagmomantis sp. where oothecae in the wild start to hatch only next Spring. I agree with you on the waiting part.
sfooth-1.jpg

All the males are now on display tray....

sfm1.jpg

How many females did you have?! That's alot of ooths. I labeled mine 10/9 so it has just been over a month. I hope they hatch within the next few weeks.

Latest posts