Something I'm considering

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frogki

Reaction score
Alright, so once I've gotten the hang of taking care of the mantis' I currently have, I really honestly would like one of these:

http://www.mantisplace.com/images/MexicanUnicorn.jpg

It's called the Phyllovates chlorophaea... I think he's so cool! I'm gaining experience with my current mantis' though, so I'm waiting to buy him... Is there any special care requirement for this species?

Strike that, I've gained death :( ... I was trying to catch smaller insects because I didn't have much in the way of food, and so as I was trying to put a few insects to feed, one got out. I put him on my hand to watch him while I put the feeders in. He jumped and I couldn't find him again... I've only got one mantis left...

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, don't dispair! look up, they go up, on your head, on the window sill, under the ledge of a table, he will show up,, just look for him. I've been known to lay on the floor to stare at everything above me
laugh.gif
and they always go up!

Oh, don't dispair! look up, they go up, on your head, on the window sill, under the ledge of a table, he will show up,, just look for him. I've been known to lay on the floor to stare at everything above me
laugh.gif
and they always go up!
Well, he might turn up... But four people live in my house, and two dogs and two cats... So it's not likely... But I'll keep an eye out for him... Anyway, I'm doing good with my nymphs... As I stated in the above post, I would really like one of the Mexican Unicorn Mantis' once I've gotten the hang of this...

By the way, I like your website, the mantis place... It's really pretty good for mantis info and shopping...

ps... make sure u check everyones head including the dog and cat!
lol... I just hope he doesn't suffer if he is stepped on... Anyway, thanks... I'm trying to make sure I can get food to them from now on...

BTW, I'm not likely to remain in this hobby. My mother says that "I'm not bringing a bunch of praying mantises into this house"... Well she said you, but that meant me... lol... So yeah... I might not be here long... I hope to stay, but I may not be able to...

My mom got used to the idea, to the point where she now also holds them and interacts with them. Especially the first four of mine, they became like family pets. My mom's only point of contention is the fact that anywhere we go on vacation, the bugs are coming with, since there is no one around here that I'd trust to take care of them correctly (I had two lizards a few years back that died during a summer break)

Mantises are amicable and fascinating creatures, they don't have the "ew" factor that some bugs have (My mom hates my Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches)

lol, well, I'm happy. Right before I went to bed last night, I looked up like you said Hibiscus, and there he was, exploring the roof and eating... Something, I couldn't tell what it was...

Glad you found your missing one.

As for the unicorns, from what I've experienced with them they are pretty easy keepers. I didn't have to do anything special for them and they seemed to be a healthy lot. Only thing I would mention is the males don't get near as big as the females full grown so if you want a nice size one like in the picture you posted your going to want to try and snag a girl.

lol, well, I'm happy. Right before I went to bed last night, I looked up like you said Hibiscus, and there he was, exploring the roof and eating... Something, I couldn't tell what it was...
laugh.gif
Goody, like I always say, they come out with the wash!!! :tt2: Or up on top! Stinkin babies!

200px-DomenichinounicornPalFarnese.jpg

Should this happen to you again, frogki, I suggest that you sit a maiden in your bedroom/bugroom and wait for the unicorn to come and put its head in her lap (see attached non-copyright picture). My bugroom also doubles as my bedroom, and when Lisa or Sunny ask what a girl is doing in there (not that it is really any of their business) I tell them that she is trying to catch an escaped unicorn.

Latest posts