soraya got stuck

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantis Lady

Reaction score
Soraya was  running and she ran in a cricket trap that was hidden and she got stuck sadly enough in the trap,  I could free her for the biggest part. She lost a leg sadly enough. she is still stuck with one leg and a part of her abdomen. I have trying for a long time to free the poor girl. How can I free her abdomen and her leg?

What i did was soak the paper to make it soft, but for the biggest part it worked. but not with abdomen and last leg.

soraya-accident.jpg

this pic shows how it is now. I want her free.😢

Oh no! This is tragic! ❤️ I'm so sorry to see this 

Sometimes, grease/oil can help remove sticky residue. Perhaps some baby oil, or olive oil? Let it saturate the glue and try to remove the fly paper. 

Best of luck 🤞 

Was it one of those glue traps, often used for roaches?
yes, it is a glue but this one was for crickets. :(

Sometimes, grease/oil can help remove sticky residue. Perhaps some baby oil, or olive oil?
Olive oil I have at home, I can try that i have put it  on the glue parts. I really hope I can free her abdomen and leg, feel sad for my girl

I hate to say it, but it's unlikely that she will survive. If you've ever gotten this type of glue on your hands, you'd understand why I'm pessimistic. I think trying to remove the glue will be futile at this point, especially since it involves the abdomen. I believe you've probably done all you can. Wish I had a more positive opinion. Sorry. 😕

I could free her with the olive oil, it worked :) ,  Thanks @MantisGirl13

I hate to say it, but it's unlikely that she will survive.
if she is going to die, she dies free and not with a piece of paper on her body.

At the moment she hangs on the lid of her home. will leave her be for a moment, this was a stressy day for her.

Then my thanks goes to @Graceface I hope she survives, but I have to see how she will do. I keep in mind she could die also. Time will tell. If she survives, she has to live with 1 leg less sadly enough, but she can hang with her other legs. She still has a few molts to go, maybe it can grow back in the coming molts.

I am so happy she is free again.

Then my thanks goes to @Graceface I hope she survives, but I have to see how she will do. I keep in mind she could die also. Time will tell. If she survives, she has to live with 1 leg less sadly enough, but she can hang with her other legs. She still has a few molts to go, maybe it can grow back in the coming molts.

I am so happy she is free again.
Did she lose a leg?

- MantisGirl13

Consider trying liquid bandage. It's cyanoacrylate-based. It's used in surgery, and tarantula owners use it to seal wounds. Here's one I have for my cracked wintertime finger tips.

20190209_161914.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think she lost it while trying to free herself. I saw it when I was trying to cut the paper away. But the leg that got stuck on the paper I could free too gladly.

Honey wont seal the wound. it provides topical antibacterial treatment. You will want to seal that wound when you can.

Has anyone here used hydrogen peroxide on mantids?

Were I in your situation, I would water it down by half, and apply to the wound with a qtip or paintbrush. Once it dries, use liquid bandage to seal it. The rest is up to her.

Latest posts