Sphodromantis aurea adult females

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes they are large! They look bigger than my 77mm long adult female Sphodromantis sp. "Blue Flash". I wonder do you have small hands?

Yes they are large! They look bigger than my 77mm long adult female Sphodromantis sp. "Blue Flash". I wonder do you have small hands?
Female on the left have 8 cm 3 mm, one on the right 9 cm. :) - both are just few hour after molt so they will be like 10 cm after feeding ;)

but...

what?

they werent killing each other...
He was careful and took the picture when the two adults did not notice each other and they easily notice each other and two of the four nymphs saw the other mantids close to them but he probably separated them before they running into each other and fighting. They were probably watching the person who was taking the photo of them so they were preoccupied but if one made a move then they would probably be noticed and act very aggressively to the other even if the person was waving his hands around close to them.

Last edited by a moderator:
He was careful and took the picture when the two adults did not notice each other and they easily notice each other and two of the four nymphs saw the other mantids close to them but he probably separated them before they running into each other and fighting. They were probably watching the person who was taking the photo of them so they were preoccupied but if one made a move then they would probably be noticed and act very aggressively to the other even if the person was waving his hands around close to them.
That doesnt sound plausible.

I thought aggressive species will instantly tear each other up.

The species i have try to kill each other constantly through the mesh screens that seperate the cages.

oh well

i guess im stupid for assuming 2 adult females sitting together were communal.

sorry.

That doesnt sound plausible.

I thought aggressive species will instantly tear each other up.

The species i have try to kill each other constantly through the mesh screens that seperate the cages.

oh well

i guess im stupid for assuming 2 adult females sitting together were communal.

sorry.
That is because they have been probably staring at each other for a while and know the other one is not moving away when they know they are both watching each other I guess but they will after a few seconds if the other mantis moves around start to attack the other and they will both be threatening each other when that happens. And he probably kept the females that do not know there is a threat from another mantis from moving close in a threatening way to the female that are watching and ready to defend them self and he probably separated them before they even made a threat pose and if he could not have taken a picture he tries again later, probably.Edit

Oh, and when you startle them then they are less aware of other mantids if there are any around them. When he is calm and suddenly a mantis moves and is close to him then he will probably threaten the other mantis but when he is being handled by a never ending stick (I keep putting the other arm in front of the other over and over :) ) then he seems nervous and will focus on running away and when he is touched on the belly or somewhere else he will know it is another animal and if he is unusually aggressive then he will threaten the finger and strike at it but most will run faster.

Third female molted, she got 8 cm 5 mm :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Look, there was no problem with taking this pictures. On photo with 4 females - there was no agressive behaviour at all, one of the female was staring to another one - thats all. In the second picture, both females were maximum 24 hours after final molt - so they weren't intrested in any attack thing or something.

In both pictures, were taken with two person taking care of them, just for took 2 pictures and they were separate to their containers. Those photos were take only for showing sizes of mantises on my hand, and differences all of them.

Cool down, please! :)