Sphodromantis sp tanzania--legs like a newborn colt!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dbl shields: same personality as adults then because at a month and a half, she is this massively big girl, but calm and dignified.  She is always ready to eat (so I'm going to watch my chart now!) and she is actually the only mantid to have drawn blood so far---she didn't bite--I got my finger in the way of her raptorial arm spikes and got snagged when she grabbed her food)! Now I understand how they do so well holding their wiggling, slippery prey. :lol:

Dbl shields: same personality as adults then because at a month and a half, she is this massively big girl, but calm and dignified.  She is always ready to eat (so I'm going to watch my chart now!) and she is actually the only mantid to have drawn blood so far---she didn't bite--I got my finger in the way of her raptorial arm spikes and got snagged when she grabbed her food)! Now I understand how they do so well holding their wiggling, slippery prey. :lol:
Good to know, I may have to track Double Shields down again sometime. Ouch - are you using tweezers/tongs or just holding feeders with your fingers? I ask as depending on what you have as feeders they can bite painfully too - such as crickets. I use a 10" pair of tweezers, saves my fingers from feeder bites, mantis mishaps, and accidental feeder drops. :)

Glad I don't see anything about a trip to a doctor, or damaged mantid though. :D

Ah, it was just stupid me.  I use 8" tongs, but she really got an armload of the tweezer and wouldn't change her grip (and my back was killing me) so I stupidly reached with my other hand to try to push her arm a bit---she changed her grip alright!  I won't be doing that again---maybe a Q-tip instead of my finger, right?

And...I didn't know a cricket would bite.  I will give them a little more respect, too.  I grab them with the tweezers but then hold them down with my fingers while I cut off their legs.  Have you been bitten by a cricket?

Ah, it was just stupid me.  I use 8" tongs, but she really got an armload of the tweezer and wouldn't change her grip (and my back was killing me) so I stupidly reached with my other hand to try to push her arm a bit---she changed her grip alright!  I won't be doing that again---maybe a Q-tip instead of my finger, right?

And...I didn't know a cricket would bite.  I will give them a little more respect, too.  I grab them with the tweezers but then hold them down with my fingers while I cut off their legs.  Have you been bitten by a cricket?
A cotton swab would work in a pinch. ;) If nothing else perhaps a handy piece of stick or dowel rod would save the day next time.

Yes, I learned the hard way. I read it before but didn't give it any thought and one bit down on the tip of my finger. It felt like a pinch, but got my attention. I guess some of the larger adults can draw blood. So anymore I pick them up while they are trapped in empty paper towel tubes (from their tank, they love to hide in them more than the egg crates) to a 1' tall feeder container and are "tweezered" out to the mantids.

I always cut off the long legs and some of the short ones so they will stay in the mantid containers but...

I realize the crickets must have good chewing strength now---they ate a hole in the tight vinyl screen on their bucket and escaped in my house.  Found five adults so far, well six if you count the one that set off the electric air filters two floors down.  Not happy.  Switching to metal screen!

Sorry to hear they made a escape, how many did you have? Hopefully not many.

If crickets can get their mouth around it they will bite through about anything besides glass or metal. The bucket itself however should be fine, as it is so smooth they can not get a grip to bite it. That said though, were they able to climb the buckets inside or was it at an angle? I'm curious how they reached the mess top to escape.

Yep metal screen or thick plastic is a must for crickets and roaches. Same with roaches which will chew just to chew if they can fit something in their mouth. The nice thing about petstore crickets is they tend to be really easy to catch. They sort of remind me of the insect version of fat domesticated chickens.

The bucket is only a foot tall and these crickets could jump from the egg cartons and hang on the lid.  Bad planning.  It was also the first time I bought adult crickets.  Never had that trouble with mediums.  I'd rather feed two of them than have those adult males chirping all night anyway.

Krissim Klaw

And I feel like that about the BB flies.  So predictable and easy to catch in the skylight over my table (unlike the house flies and stable flies!)  Sometimes when I can't get the BB flies out of my bottle I just open it up and let them go to the skylight where I can easily pick them off.   :lol:

Ah yeah that small of a height is no problem for adults. Getting the large (adults) crickets is great for them to breed and lay eggs, which can help offset the costs by getting some crickets - or if done right can actually keep you from having to buy them again. Of course if you haven't setup your tank(s) and such for that there is no point in getting them. I keep them in the other room as the chirping can get a bit old for sure. My wife has grown to love the cricket chirping though so go figure. ;)

I find it is well worth getting a tank or bin for crickets. So much easier to reach in and mess around in the cage when they can't easily jump out.

I find it is well worth getting a tank or bin for crickets. So much easier to reach in and mess around in the cage when they can't easily jump out.
Indeed. I got mine in a 30 gallon "fish breeder" aquarium tank ("Extra High" 24" length x 12" wide x 24" height) so I don't have to worry about them. ;)

Latest posts