Spider Venom Reaction on Mantis?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoolMantid

Reaction score
Hey all,

Slight problem. Iv'e been low on moths for my L7 Creo so I decided to feed a common house spider to her.

Here is a nice picture of one

PICT0146-2.jpg

Well any ways, She caught it but they both started wrestling. (Even rolling around) Then the spider's fang stuck out and he lunged into her raptorial legs.

She let go of it and has now been cleaning her arms non stop and her raptorial legs have been vibrating. I think the spider bit into her arm. Is she dying? Will she die? Have any of you noticed this before?

Please she will be my mating female

Thanks ;)

Never feed them spiders. No reason to unless you enjoy risking your pet's life. With any poisonous insect there is the chance of a bite and death. Just not a very smart move.

Sounds like she's been bitten for sure. My mantids react the same way when bit by a cricket. Only time will tell if the poison will do its work.

Unless the spider is really small compared to the mantis i do not use them as food.

This is why I stopped feeding my dog rattlesnakes. :mellow:

He seems to be doing better on these fat-tailed scorpions, though.

Oh, wait... He's dead.

lol ooh..

Yeah, I have only ever attempted spiders twice. The first time, it got eaten butt-first without a problem. The second one ran and hid and then built a web, so that's no good either. No one was hurt, but that was the end of spiders at my place. Not worth the risk. Hope your mantis is ok.. I guess we'll see.

This is why I stopped feeding my dog rattlesnakes. :mellow:

He seems to be doing better on these fat-tailed scorpions, though.

Oh, wait... He's dead.
A dog trying to eat a live rattlesnake/scorpion is not on the same level as a mantis tackling a spider. I know there are several users on this board who regularly feed bees, wasps, and spiders along with other wild caught prey items. Mantises are designed to be able to handle themselves and take on these sort of prey items. Are their risks, yes, there is a risk anytime you feed a feeder that can bite. Just like there is a risk keeping mantises in communal set ups or letting them practice such dangerous things as procreating.

Yes mantis can handle the poison inside their stomach. But if poison gets into their blood stream its dead. If A mantis gets stuck in a spiders web the spider will bite it and kill it. So basically soem venom has got into his blood stream.

I think she is fine except her arms got tangled and now she wont open them. So I dont think she will be able to eat.

A dog trying to eat a live rattlesnake/scorpion is not on the same level as a mantis tackling a spider. I know there are several users on this board who regularly feed bees, wasps, and spiders along with other wild caught prey items. Mantises are designed to be able to handle themselves and take on these sort of prey items. Are their risks, yes, there is a risk anytime you feed a feeder that can bite. Just like there is a risk keeping mantises in communal set ups or letting them practice such dangerous things as procreating.
So the rattlesnakes were a bad idea? :huh: I figured he might choke on dry dog food so it was worth the risk.

Of course I'm being sarcastic. I'm just pointing out that it's not worth the risking poisoning your pet. Mantids that specialize in flying prey are designed to handle wasps and bees. I am not aware of any mantid designed to battle spiders. When one predator battles another there is always more risk. Factor in poison and it just seems silly to even consider it.

I hope his mantis recovers. Let this be a lesson to everybody. The only real reason to feed your mantis a spider is because you get off on the danger. No one is that desperate for feeders. If you are I'll send you $1 to buy 10 crickets.

I use to feed my Chinese spiders.

She loved them!

But Creos are flower mantids (They preffer moths,bees etc)

I learned my lesson. I will keep you guys updated