Spider Venom Reaction on Mantis?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya thanks. If she goes I can only blame my self.

As of right know she doesnt look good. I think... no I hope... the posion will pass through by the morning and she will be herself again. Thanks for all these tips. Let you know in the morning

Ya thanks. If she goes I can only blame my self.

As of right know she doesnt look good. I think... no I hope... the posion will pass through by the morning and she will be herself again. Thanks for all these tips. Let you know in the morning
That sux. I guess it depends what type of toxin is in the poison. I had a Ghost that drank off a plant that must have had insecticide on it and went into a coma for 2 days, but he fully recovered. Hopefully your girl is better in the morning. Give her some water to help flush it through her system.

I hope she is doing better in the morning. I caught a spider in my house the other day to feed my mantis. Something told me not to so I let it go instead. Glad I did now.

Well, she is still alive

But... she cant open her raptorial arms.

I have a feeling like I should put her down but dont want to.

Any tips?

I could hand feed her until she molts and see how she is then?

Give it more time. Hasn't even been 24 hours. Like I said, my Ghosts too 2 days to recover. As long as she's not suffering just keep feeding and watering and see what happens. It could be the toxins were the kind that destroy tissue rather than paralyze. In that case she may never regain use of her claws.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will try hand feeding her, Aslo her legs arent working to well. She keeps falling

For breeding purposes, do you think she will be able to lay. Even with this problem?

You've got to give it time and see how it plays out. I never had this happen so I don't know. Give her a chance to heal.

So the rattlesnakes were a bad idea? :huh: I figured he might choke on dry dog food so it was worth the risk.

Of course I'm being sarcastic. I'm just pointing out that it's not worth the risking poisoning your pet. Mantids that specialize in flying prey are designed to handle wasps and bees. I am not aware of any mantid designed to battle spiders. When one predator battles another there is always more risk. Factor in poison and it just seems silly to even consider it.

I hope his mantis recovers. Let this be a lesson to everybody. The only real reason to feed your mantis a spider is because you get off on the danger. No one is that desperate for feeders. If you are I'll send you $1 to buy 10 crickets.
Yes i figured you were being sarcastic but I was not a fan of the tone since to be it sounded like kicking someone when they are already down. The dog food comment is ironic since go to any dog forum and a number of people would want to burn you at the stake for feeding something as subpar as kibble. ^.~ The fact these are flower mantises however doesn't change my feelings about them still being plenty able bodied to handle spiders. Ambush spiders would frequent the same areas looking for those same flying insects. Spiders are indeed predators, but then again so can crickets easily fall in tha category too. I sometimes wonder if people realize just how much mandible power crickets have. Nothing like feeling and hearing the sound of a cricket biting on a metal tong to realize just what they can do. Mantises however are well equipped to handle them along with the other biting, stinging, pissed off prey items they snag.

I am in agreement though, I don't like to feed spiders just like you will probably never see me with a communal set up and then there is the fact I rarely ever risking breeding. I am cleary one of the types on the board to get way too attached to my babies.

@ Hetarem- I hope she pulls through. Sounds like it is way to early in my opinion to call it quits on her. I would give her a couple of days at the very least before making the decision.

Yes i figured you were being sarcastic but I was not a fan of the tone since to be it sounded like kicking someone when they are already down. The dog food comment is ironic since go to any dog forum and a number of people would want to burn you at the stake for feeding something as subpar as kibble. ^.~

The fact these are flower mantises however doesn't change my feelings about them still being plenty able bodied to handle spiders. Ambush spiders would frequent the same areas looking for those same flying insects. Spiders are indeed predators, but then again so can crickets easily fall in tha category too. I sometimes wonder if people realize just how much mandible power crickets have. Nothing like feeling and hearing the sound of a cricket biting on a metal tong to realize just what they can do. Mantises however are well equipped to handle them along with the other biting, stinging, pissed off prey items they snag.

I am in agreement though, I don't like to feed spiders just like you will probably never see me with a communal set up and then there is the fact I rarely ever risking breeding. I am cleary one of the types on the board to get way too attached to my babies.

@ Hetarem- I hope she pulls through. Sounds like it is way to early in my opinion to call it quits on her. I would give her a couple of days at the very least before making the decision.
I am... for sure gonna give her more time. until she molts to adult

Yes i figured you were being sarcastic but I was not a fan of the tone since to be it sounded like kicking someone when they are already down. The dog food comment is ironic since go to any dog forum and a number of people would want to burn you at the stake for feeding something as subpar as kibble. ^.~

The fact these are flower mantises however doesn't change my feelings about them still being plenty able bodied to handle spiders. Ambush spiders would frequent the same areas looking for those same flying insects. Spiders are indeed predators, but then again so can crickets easily fall in tha category too. I sometimes wonder if people realize just how much mandible power crickets have. Nothing like feeling and hearing the sound of a cricket biting on a metal tong to realize just what they can do. Mantises however are well equipped to handle them along with the other biting, stinging, pissed off prey items they snag.
My black humor is not for everyone. And to be clear, I don't own a dog. At least not since those fat-tails killed him. But seriously, it seemed no one was pointing out that using spiders as feeders is not a good idea. I wanted to show what a silly idea is was by comparing with a more common pet and other poisonous animals.

Sure, in the right situation a mantis may take an unsuspecting spider in the wild. That's a far cry from throwing a POed spider into close quarters with a mantis. That's equivalent to a gladiatorial arena and a fight to the death. Ask any hunter if they would rather be locked in a room with a gun and a moose or stalk it in the woods.

So the point is:

Spiders are dangerous and not good food for your mantids.

Ok I solved this problem I think

So she cant open her raptorial arms so I tried hand feeding her and she refused it. SO I put on a heat mat and right next to my violin cage so she is at a constant 85 degrees. She should molt to adult in about 2 weeks. I think it should solve the problem.

I will continue trying to hand feed her

Precarious- Do you think this will work?

I think it's very promising that she's still around and it sounds like you're doing the right things. Keep her warm and hydrated and be patient, healing takes time.

Don't force food on her. Let her just rest and drink for a few days. Now is not a good time to change her environmental conditions too much. Keep things the same and leave her be. If her legs aren't working properly she may not be able to molt so don't rush it. Also, many times if injured they will take up to twice as long beofre they're ready to molt. Give her some love and hope for the best.

Never feed them spiders. No reason to unless you enjoy risking your pet's life. With any poisonous insect there is the chance of a bite and death. Just not a very smart move.

Sounds like she's been bitten for sure. My mantids react the same way when bit by a cricket. Only time will tell if the poison will do its work.
Wait...Crickets don't have poison!

She was always at 78-80 degrees. But i moved her to 85 just incase.

Her legs are very weak. I found her hanging upside downs. So she can still hang.

She tried at attack a houselfy but fell in the process. So I removed all food.