Stagmomantis limbata mating

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i am in central mexico but they are found everywhere here, most people dont know them as mantis they are known here as " campamocha" and thought to be poisonous, from what i know they range all over mexico

Everyone has their own opinion on the coloring. My opinion is that they will gradually change colors with each succeeding molt to match the vegetation they are on. For example, a European mantid in the wild living on green plants will eventually become green. Those living on branches, bark, etc. will become brown. Those that live amongst the crisp dry yellow grasses will become yellow. This coloring should apply to limbatas as well (colors brown and green should, but I'm not sure about yellow).

Last edited by a moderator:
i cant say you are right or wrong, ive always only kept adult mantids so, who knows what colors they went through, but in all the pics of a californica they are that beige/green color once they are adult. they look exactly the same there is just a diff in color..... im just saying, im not an expert, im just curious

Last edited by a moderator:
i am in central mexico but they are found everywhere here, most people dont know them as mantis they are known here as " campamocha" and thought to be poisonous, from what i know they range all over mexico
I recall catching some on my grandpas ranch in Jalisco but I had no clue limbata were that deep into Mexico. I think there is Stagmomantis sinaloense too.

As for “campamocha" that's what us Mexicanos call them. Haha