Stay away from me!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dang, this species looks so cool!. I really like the Ghosts, and Idolos for their looks. But I also love the normal looking mantids, like the chinese. But these seem to be a steriod filled chinese. Really cool find yen

Sorry i have totally forgotten about this thread, was busy preparing for my Arizona trip. I will post up the differences between S. limbata and S. californica. the adult female Mike gave me die prematurely due to sickness :( but i collected a few more adult females from my recent weekend trip to Madera Canyon.

@ Mantidlord: Under the similar condition at Madera Canyon, both adult male/female S. limbata appear to be larger than S. californica adults. Comparing sizes between S. californica and S. carolina is rather tricky. S. carolina on the northern part of the region (with longer winter) appear to be smaller than S. californica but Carolina mantis from Southern states (subspecies maybe) are longer than S. californica.

@angleofdeathzz: Yeah one of the California mantis collected from AZ deposited an ootheca recently, but to be sure I let another wild caught adult male S. californica mated with her yesterday.