Stumpy finally molts

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DinehCaveman

Reaction score
Stumpy lost a back leg early in L1 then the other back leg during an escape. He finally molted( took over 2 weeks) to L2 and has a new leg and a nub. YAY YAY

I will hold him and pet him and love him and he will be my Stumpy!

IMG_20130614_121035.jpg

Congrats! He looks cute. I thought if a mantis molts, it regrows ALL lost limbs. guess it will take time! He will survive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Limbs can sometimes take longer to regrow, it depends on how much time and resources were available to it after losing limbs before the next molt.

Congrats! He looks cute. I thought if a mantis molts, it regrows ALL lost limbs. guess it will take time! He will survive.
Like Ranitomeya said, depending on how severe the injury is, is what determines how soon the limb or appendage will grow back with each successive molt...

Good news that stumpy is doing well!

My Carolina Spencer lost a leg at L2, and it took 2-3 molts for him to grow it back completely. He's currently a little gimpy after getting knocked down before he was fully dry when molting to L5. He's just not the most graceful. :oops:

Thanks all, I was getting worried that Stumpy wouldn't make the next molt. Especially losing both rear legs, walking on the front legs and raptorials, did not see him eat anything, kept counting ff and misting daily, he was always active though. Can't wait till L3 he should be complete then.

Stumpy's well, trying to get decent picture of cryptics is hard especially with phone. These guys move fast and they tend to jump which is cool but not when trying to take a picture. Caught him cleaning his leg and you can see the nub where the leg will grow back.

IMG_20130617_153222.jpg

Stumpy's 4 days into L2 , I put about 5 or 6 melanos in its enclosure but it eats only half a fly at a time. He spent most of L1 missing a leg and about the last week and a half of L1 without the other rear leg. It will take some time to get back to normal, he's moving around much easier and grooming. I just saw him stalking a ff. Thanks everyone for your intrest and well wishes.

Stumpy molted to L4 this morning. He took well over two weeks to molt to L2, because of injury, molted to L3 in twelve days, molted to L4 in twelve days as well. So he's about half grown now, I guess he's the runt, I was expecting him to get a little bigger. Pic taken today.

IMG_1523.JPG

Latest posts