Success finally!! but...............

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psychobunny

Reaction score
I have finally, after 2 attempts, been succesful in mating my lineola pair.

I introduced them after feeding her 4 crickets, on top a large net cage in the middle of

my living room floor.

They got together and he mounted her with no problems at about 3pm yesterday.

At bedtime, about 10pm, they were still at it.

So, I went to bed after putting some fake plants on top of the net cage, were they

had only wondered a few inches.

I was hoping the male would not fly off somewhere and I would have a hard time finding

him.

But this morning when I got up to prepair for going to work, I checked on them.

They are still on top the net cage, but he is still attached to her!!

Well, I had no choice but to just leave them there for the day, with the fake plants on top

the cage on the floor.

I am a little worried that he may not want to detach from her, and she will get hungry and

decide to have him for lunch!!

I am hoping that leaving them out in the open will give him plenty chance to fly away.

So, I have 2 adult lineola's loose in my living room!! LOL

They usually do not stray far, and will be attracted to the green fake plants (I also misted

the plants with water this morning so they can get a drink).

I just hope I can find them both when I get home and no surprises!!

Fingers crossed that all of your excellent precautions work!

I am going to mate my first pair this week (C. picti) and I'm pretty nervous. I am stuffing my little monster so she doesn't look for boy-snacks!

LOL!! thanks ;)

My first 2 attempts, they were too young and scared to death of each other!!

I really hope I find a live and healthy male when I get home.

I like this little guy, he is very friendly and loves to be held.

So I would be sad to loose him.

Cant wait to get home today!!! maybe I will sneak out a little early ;)

i had 2 hierodulas mate for over 24 hours

turned out the male got stuck :eek: no lie, he tried flying away and was STUCK to the female's abdomen :eek:

then the female became eggbound...

good luck. I would be sick jusy thinking about them loose in the house for so long.

I use giant butterfly cages for breeding. just set it up, add some plants, and let them do their thing.

Harry

Great news. Offering her food now might give him more if a chance to get away.

Great news. Offering her food now might give him more if a chance to get away.
I know but I wont be home for another 4 hours!!

Should have just put them inside the net cage. It's one of those large ones for reptiles.

Oh well!! we will see what I come home to :\

When faced with this awkard situation, I have in two instances separated them after what would seem to be an adequate length of time for the transfer of sperm to take place. Don't you think overnight is long enough. Just physically get beterrn their abdominal areas and pry them apart gently. Believe me, he will let go. It is not the female that is in control in this situation, and with your intervention, there is no fear that there will be a beheaded male. You will be happy, they are satisfied and you can go about your other tasks.

When faced with this awkard situation, I have in two instances separated them after what would seem to be an adequate length of time for the transfer of sperm to take place. Don't you think overnight is long enough. Just physically get beterrn their abdominal areas and pry them apart gently. Believe me, he will let go. It is not the female that is in control in this situation, and with your intervention, there is no fear that there will be a beheaded male. You will be happy, they are satisfied and you can go about your other tasks.
party pooper. :tt2:

Harry

If the deed is done, I don't really care what happens to the male(if no more females are needing lovin'). If eaten, it is great nutrition for the nymphs to form and one less mantis to feed. Win/win

Fortunately there are sometimes more than one female to mate and the male has other clients. How many bulls are there in a cattle herd?

Fortunately there are sometimes more than one female to mate and the male has other clients. How many bulls are there in a cattle herd?
I thought that's what I said. And please, do educate me. How many bulls are in a cattle herd? I might need to know if I ever make it to "Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader". :p :lol:

I do not claim to know a lot about cattle ranching and all that is involved, but I remember from my earlier days of living in the rural cattle area called Paso Robles, CA, there were some huge cattle ranches. In looking at a portion of the cattle within a given fenced area, I would see the heffers and cows grazing and there might be one older bull and perhaps one younger bull in with as many as twenty or thirty females. As soon as the calves are born and segregated into males and females, the owner would at a young age, castrate the males and of course let the females grow to sexual maturity for breeding. The typical herd owner would spend much money buying the most expensive and well bred bull he could afford knowing that the genetics would impart a value to his cattle. The others that are less endowed with the strong genetics, were either castrated or sold to another cattle owner as being one generation removed from the "bull".

I don't think I ever lost a male when the pair had plenty of room like that. Locked in a cage? Quite often.

They were fine when I got home. They had seperated and gone their own way, still

clinging to the fake plants on the floor.

So, they didnt move very much and were easy to find and put back in their homes.

I like the idea of letting them out in the open area.

I tried the big net cage I have (bigger then the laundry basket) and putting them inside,

but the female would chase the male around.

I would rather he was able to fly away (he wont go far!!).

If I didnt need this male to breed another female, I really would not care so much what happened

to him once he has done his thing.

Latest posts