Super glue toxic?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricardo

Reaction score
Hey I just glued some twigs to the roof of one of my plastic tubs using super glue. How long should I wait for the super glue scent/gas to subside before I put in my violins?

Is super glue harmful? Is tape harmful?

Last edited by a moderator:
The superglue reacts to water, so after misting and evaporation dry ,should be ok ,I personally use low temp hotglue gun,but have to be cautious to remove strings

I would avoid tape ,they can get caught

I'd avoid it. Use a glue gun with the non toxic glue sticks. Works great and can be removed later. Also avoid tape. Mantids get their feet caught in it.

I'd avoid it. Use a glue gun with the non toxic glue sticks. Works great and can be removed later. Also avoid tape. Mantids get their feet caught in it.
+1

Learned the hard way that even the residue from tape can be a deadly challenge for tiny nymphs. I remember Hibiscus reporting sticky problems even with her glue gun. I haven't experienced that, but worth doing a quick test.

Hey I just glued some twigs to the roof of one of my plastic tubs using super glue. How long should I wait for the super glue scent/gas to subside before I put in my violins?

Is super glue harmful? Is tape harmful?
I don't think that anyone answered yr question, Ricardo. Super glue is fully cured and quite safe after 24 hrs. It used to be popular as a way of gluing ooths to twigs, so the tiny amounts that we use don't appear to do any harm. Tape, as everyone else said, is a different matter.

I know about tape risks but carefully plotting the tape can lead to success. I've never had problems with it because I've made it impossible for my mantids to touch the tape at all.

( Or the residue )

Last edited by a moderator:
Superglue is harmless even before curing and is commonly used to set living coral frags which are far more sensitive than mantids. Just don't concentrate and inhale the vapors.

I know about tape risks but carefully plotting the tape can lead to success. I've never had problems with it because I've made it impossible for my mantids to touch the tape at all.

( Or the residue )
+1 I use tape for securing temporary objects. It's actually very useful as long as you make sure none of the sticky side can be touched and you clean off all the residue. Luckily, the tape I use doesn't leave any residue. :D

Latest posts