Tarachodes sp

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yen_saw

Forum Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Few pics of the newly hatched Gambian bark mantis.

ooth1a.jpg

L1b.jpg

L1c.jpg

They look tiny... Very small arms. the ooth blendes in very well to its branch...

Great pictures.

Yes it was hot glue. Just becareful not to glue the seam (where nymphs hatch) of the ootheca and also watch out the seam facing downward has no obstruction to avoid hatchling stucked on the side of the cage.

L3a.jpg

Nice photos.

One thing, are you sure that these are Tarachodes sp. and not Galepsus sp. ? Were they shipped in straight from Africa by any chance, 'coz if so all mantids that look like this are labelled as Tarachodes sp.?

The coxae on the forelegs look too short to be Tarachodes sp. It is a small nymph, so I could well be wrong.

Rob.

Nice photos.One thing, are you sure that these are Tarachodes sp. and not Galepsus sp. ? Were they shipped in straight from Africa by any chance, 'coz if so all mantids that look like this are labelled as Tarachodes sp.?

The coxae on the forelegs look too short to be Tarachodes sp. It is a small nymph, so I could well be wrong.

Rob.
All i have now are L3/L4 nymphs so not sure if the species can be identified correctly. I have requested breeder in Germany for an adult pic but to no avail. It was sent to me as tarachode sp. in ootheca, no idea what is the exact sp. as the adult were captured in the wild from Gambia. There are so many subspecies for Tarachodes which make identification extra challenging. They look similar to T. Afzelii at this stage although the eyes are not as pointy.

Well still didn't get the adult pic from German but the breeder is 100% sure it is Tarachodes sp as he also keep Gaplepsus sp. but i am not so sure. Here are some L5 pics.

l4c.jpg

l4d.jpg

l4a.jpg

Latest posts