The Monarchs have returned!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can be happy all you want.

But I hope you dont mind me bragging.

Last year I kept 52 monarchs

I have been raising Gulf frits for 3 years

I had 30 something Mourning Cloaks last year only a little this year

I had about 8 cabbage whites

I have had about 40 Red Admirals

and about 60 painted ladies
Hertarem45,

Slightly off-topic, but would you happen to know what the commercially available Painted Lady Culture Medium is made out of? Carolina.com wants $19.50 for one cup. I figured if I knew the ingredients, I could make my own medium for a lot less.

http://www.carolina....oduct/144040.do

Last edited by a moderator:
Uh. I never buy the medium, as it is unhealthy for the caterpillars but it must be made out of their host plant which is mallow, thistle, pussytoes, or hollyhock. Im not exactly sure. If you ever want thistle seeds let me know

Last edited by a moderator:
I went last year. The line for the butterfly pavillion was incredibly long! So I spent most of my time indoors. I did see anise there but I tried to buy them off this guy who just found them in his yard. He didnt except anything :(

Do you go?
yes. I got almost all my mantids there.

they used to have gongies, creos, ghosts, spiny flowers, and unicorns (thanks, ken the bug guy!) before the usda confiscated them. :(

Well just two days after hatching, I found 3 pairs peacefully mating last night. Tonight, they are at it again...this time it seems that there are a few who are even being bullies and trying to cut in on the action.

It's a full scale orgie with party crashers.

Since I have no idea how to tell the difference between male and female, is there anything I can do to help with egg laying?

How long does it take before egg laying?

I'm such a noob at painted ladys and have no idea what to do?

They are kept in a 24x48 net cage. about 15 per cage.

I'll be honest, they were for food for my animals. But I fell in love with them and now I want to learn how to keep the party going so i have them year round.

Help, any advice or website needed to read is welcome.

Harry

Latest posts