the perfect Idolomantis tank/conditions?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well I was not there but my friend took this picture whilst on holiday in Goa..

If these are not supposed to be there then perhaps somonee had been breeding them and released some for some reason? And then again the european mantis was introduced to america and has done well..

I am positive that it is an idolomantis and trusting my friend there was a few of them there..

I am not discrediting what you say that they should not be there but still, they are.

Hi.

The point is, that I am not convinced that this species occurs there. This is like discovering wild elephants in the Amazon!

It would have been recorded earlier! Hey, this is Idolomantis! A species like this would not remain unrecognized. I have read some publications about Indian mantids, and none even considers the possibility or rumours of this species to occur in India.

For me, the following explanations come into mind:

1. Fraud. Or a joke. I do not know anyone personally, so why should I believe the good old story of a friend of a friend who saw them?

2. A mistake: the photo was taken elsewhere and labelled erroneously. Things like this happen even with specimens.

3. Some jerk released them there. But when? And how? Most people did not really manage to breed them successfully, and the species is in stock only since 2004/2005. This is not enough time to establish a population as large as specimens to be encountered frequently. And I did not sell any to India, a.f.a.i.k. :lol: By the way, introducing a species into a new habitat is not as easy as most people think, particularly considering a difficult species like Idolomantis diabolica. However, if this had really happen, the species must have been recorded soon after.

4. The most unlikely, but most sensational case: the species survived unrecognized in that region until now. I do not believe in this, there are some biogeographical constraints that cannot be ignored.

I favour theory 2 until some better proofs are offered.

Regards,

Christian

totally understand all points, but there is very little I can really do to prove it :(

I assure you I am not trying to wind you up, make a joke etc..

Perhaps when my friend is back from her latest travels or when I can get in touch I can try and get the name of the place where she saw them if thats any use?

I would generally like to think my friend knows the difference between one country and another but like you say to you this is "a friend of a friends tale" so I cant blame you for being sceptical!

I have heard that idolomantis are very hard to breed so I would be suprised to find they are doing well also, but still dont really know what else I can say other that what I have been told by someone I trust..

till I can get something better for you lets just leave it because we will just go round in circles I think ;)

still thinking about my project as well, to which I much appreciate the advice!

Latest posts