They ate my mantis!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Mantid

Reaction score
One of my metalyticus violaceus molted and the turkistan roaches decided to eat it. I think they must have enjoyed her soft fresh exoskeleten. Kinda sucks but ah well. Is this common for turkistan roaches?

YOUR METALLYTICUS WAS EATEN BY ROACHES??? :blink: AH WELL!? AH WELL!? Man, if I were you, I'd be killing roaches right now. :2guns: :gun_bandana: :gunsmilie: :tank: :shuriken: Metallyticus are EXTREMELY rare. :( Stupid roaches... :angry: :censored: <_<

Last edited by a moderator:
its only common if you commonly keep roaches in with a mantis and never known roaches to eat a mantis and never owned roaches so only know that crickets tend to do that!

I haven't had it happen with roaches. However I was unfortunate enough to have a mealworm climb up a skewer, knock down a molting budwing and eat it.

I did not think roaches could do that otherwise I would not have had put in the bulkier ones. Ah well. Live and learn!

What did we learn here today Class??? Things with mouth's eat other things with mouth's and they've been doing it for millions of years, big or small they don't care if you think there not supposed to do it!

Have you ever been bitten by a horse fly that's 1/10,000th your size,and it very quickly left a mark, well it tried to eat you. If you overstock or leave your cage unattended with any aggressive feeder's your inviting trouble, and sooner or later you end up starting a post like this one. I'm not trying to sound rude or over critical but come on, there's been Many Many posts like this and people are still surprised it happened??? :blink: It's a dog eat dog world, so look out for your dogs. ;)

But I am sorry about your mantis... :( And if people do live and learn, then all our Mantis will be happier. :)

I didn't know roaches were considered "aggressive" feeders, as opposed to crickets. But it's not all that surprising that they took advantage of your mantis, albeit it doesn't occur as much as other feeders. But I'm paranoid with my captive mantids. Even a fly is removed if I suspect a mantis to molt, I don't want it knocking down a mantis resulting in a mismolt. Anyway, I hope you have more specimens, as this is an awesome species (from what I've heard/seen).

I once put in a small bagworm in with a nymph, hoping that when the moth came out the mantis would eat it.

Unfortunately, I found the bagworm eating my molting mantis! :eek: I thought that caterpillars were herbivorous? I guess you never can be sure. :unsure:

I no longer leave any feeders in with my mantids.

What did we learn here today Class??? Things with mouth's eat other things with mouth's and they've been doing it for millions of years, big or small they don't care if you think there not supposed to do it!

Have you ever been bitten by a horse fly that's 1/10,000th your size,and it very quickly left a mark, well it tried to eat you. If you overstock or leave your cage unattended with any aggressive feeder's your inviting trouble, and sooner or later you end up starting a post like this one. I'm not trying to sound rude or over critical but come on, there's been Many Many posts like this and people are still surprised it happened??? :blink: It's a dog eat dog world, so look out for your dogs. ;)

But I am sorry about your mantis... :( And if people do live and learn, then all our Mantis will be happier. :)
I have never been bitten by a horsefly or even encountered one, I don't even think they are around my area. I was under the impression that turkistan roaches were herbivores, I had no clue they were omnivores.

its only common if you commonly keep roaches in with a mantis and never known roaches to eat a mantis and never owned roaches so only know that crickets tend to do that!
Yeah I was aware of crickets doing that but I never knew red runners could do that.

What did we learn here today Class??? Things with mouth's eat other things with mouth's and they've been doing it for millions of years, big or small they don't care if you think there not supposed to do it! Have you ever been bitten by a horse fly that's 1/10,000th your size,and it very quickly left a mark, well it tried to eat you.
One of the best quotes ever! :lol:

Latest posts