This is insane

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopefully it was the honey, I've never had any troubles like that but I've used primarily blattids for food and have never used honey. I did have a friend whose blattid colonies started dying for no reason, which may have saved his life since he found out it was caused by carbon monoxide emissions from his furnace.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully it was the honey, I've never had any troubles like that but I've used primarily blattids for food and have never used honey. I did have a friend whose blattid colonies started dying for no reason, which may have saved his life since he found out it was caused by carbon monoxide emissions from his furnace.
Now that is interesting. I do have an alarm!

What other foods do you guys feed to flies? I thought about broth but sure since it is mostly salt.

i fed mine fish flakes to see if they would eat it and they did, ive also tried molasses(just cause) and that had no ill effects either.

Now that is interesting. I do have an alarm!What other foods do you guys feed to flies? I thought about broth but sure since it is mostly salt.
I feed mine powdered buttermilk (though I think that powdered milk would do fine) and sugar. The flies seem to enjoy it and it doesn't make a sticky mess!

I very much doubt that it is the honey, though, since each mantis is exposed to very much tinier doses than the bees were, and very few of them die when a substance like coumaphos is used in their hive (if a lot died, there would be no point in using it, would there?!).

Since your BBs are dying earlier than anticipated, the problem could be there. Changing their food will give you a better handle on that.

When did the last ones die? I hope that your plague is over. Good luck, mate.

I just use sugar-water with ground up bee pollen. This works really good for me. I have not had any issues thus far! I don't use honey at all.

Pesticides probaly drifted over from a neighbors yard.
Half of the mantids didn't eat any wild food.

I have a dog and cat but the cats get no flea treatment and the dog only gets it once every month but he isn't in this side of the house.

I find it interesting some of you feed powdered food since I know flies have sponge like mouth parts. I have never had a problem with honey and it works best for me. If it is honey it would have to be this kind.

Are you using something new for fleas and ticks? I use 'Advantage' on my dogs, and haven't had any problems so far.
My cats get advantaged every month or so as well they never go near the mantids though.

I give my dog a pill every 10th of the month to control fleas and ticks maybe there could be traces of something in the air maybe dust or something thats killing the mantis or something!

I give my dog a pill every 10th of the month to control fleas and ticks maybe there could be traces of something in the air maybe dust or something thats killing the mantis or something!
I'm ruling out that possibility because if that was the case it would have happened a long time ago and the dog rarely comes into the room.

Man sorry to hear that.Its been happening alot lately with me and my bro they just die for no apparent reason there healty eating good then boom outta nowhere thinking maybe the season or something?All good opinions on the matter though very interesting..

Have the deaths stopped now, Rick?
As of right now they have but it has only been a day or so since the last one. Today all containers were washed in the dishwasher with a bit of bleach added to the soap. Moss has been replaced with paper towels and a new batch of flies are on a different honey. We will see.

how close are your neighbours on that side of the house? do they use pesticides? hope it works out ok.

how close are your neighbours on that side of the house? do they use pesticides? hope it works out ok.
That's not it. Old ladies on one side and back. Neither do anything in their yards. House on other side is emtpy and the guy in the other house behind me rarely goes into his yard let alone even mow it. Houses are not that close either.

Latest posts