This is insane

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No that was a bad batch of flies I got a few from the same source and I did not feed any to my mantids seeing as how the flies where dying.
I wish I hadn't fed any to mine. I think blue bottles will work better for me anyway, but by the time I order the spikes, then pupate and eclose, that could take almost 2 weeks.....I wish someone could ship a cup of live flies to me.

I wish I hadn't fed any to mine. I think blue bottles will work better for me anyway, but by the time I order the spikes, then pupate and eclose, that could take almost 2 weeks.....I wish someone could ship a cup of live flies to me.
Just order pupae I'm giving a shot at maggots this week from grubco though.

I talked to the bee guy, he said only things he could think of is they are using something called bt or tb on the corn and bean crops to make the insects not like the pollen, but from what he understood, it did not hurt them, just made them not like it. Also the only other thing is if the honey gets old it will ferment and that could affect the flies. One more note, if the honey gets old, on top of the fermenting, it can get some parasites in it to, he said to change it frequently to keep it clean and not to use old honey, he said very unlikely to have something bad in the honey, but not impossible.

One of the most interesting posts yet, Rebecca. Biotech BT corn and cotton are modified to repel insects like weevils by producing bacteria. You can find plenty of documentation for and against its use, particularly in regards to bees, but Australia has been using this for years and doesn't have CCD. No one, though, has even suggested that this bacterium lives on in the honey.

Personally, I have never seen honey so old that it had started fermenting, and I image that it would be visible and sniffable if it did. :D

I talked to the bee guy, he said only things he could think of is they are using something called bt or tb on the corn and bean crops to make the insects not like the pollen, but from what he understood, it did not hurt them, just made them not like it. Also the only other thing is if the honey gets old it will ferment and that could affect the flies. One more note, if the honey gets old, on top of the fermenting, it can get some parasites in it to, he said to change it frequently to keep it clean and not to use old honey, he said very unlikely to have something bad in the honey, but not impossible.One of the most interesting posts yet, Rebecca. Biotech BT corn and cotton are modified to repel insects like weevils by producing bacteria. You can find plenty of documentation for and against its use, particularly in regards to bees, but Australia has been using this for years and doesn't have CCD. No one, though, has even suggested that this bacterium lives on in the honey.

Personally, I have never seen honey so old that it had started fermenting, and I image that it would be visible and sniffable if it did. :D
Thanks Phil. This jar of honey I have had all summer. It sits on the counter. I have never had honey go bad at least to me. I am still eating it but I do use a knife after the knife has been used for peanut butter before the honey. I switched to a new store bought container and have had no more issues.

Thanks Phil. This jar of honey I have had all summer. It sits on the counter. I have never had honey go bad at least to me. I am still eating it but I do use a knife after the knife has been used for peanut butter before the honey. I switched to a new store bought container and have had no more issues.
Did you use the same knife to spread honey on the cages? Maybe some of the mantids had peanut allergies! :lol:

Yea, I have had honey do that though, I get on a health kick and open honey and then it sits there till the cows come home, next time I look at it, it is either hard or weird looking!

Also reading some more post here about Spiecy saying they wished they hadnt fed honey to the flies, He also said he just uses sugar water, doesnt see why u would feed a fly honey! I of course told him I didnt either :lol: He said feeding them bee pollen is good though because it has protein in it, and I told him I feed mine with honey powder with bee pollen and named some other things I put in it and he seemed to agree that was good. But for short time lives like a day or so, sugar water should be fine.

Also reading some more post here about Spiecy saying they wished they hadnt fed honey to the flies, He also said he just uses sugar water, doesnt see why u would feed a fly honey! I of course told him I didnt either :lol: He said feeding them bee pollen is good though because it has protein in it, and I told him I feed mine with honey powder with bee pollen and named some other things I put in it and he seemed to agree that was good. But for short time lives like a day or so, sugar water should be fine.
I think honey is the best choice. Look how it is made. You get the nutrional value and it can hydrate the flies as well.

Well seems the problem is not resolved. A wild caught s. carolina nymph I found Sunday died in the same way. She did eat one bluebottle fly but it was from the new batch. Looks like she was starting to molt as the skin seems lifted or swollen off of the body around the abdomen. This could just be the shock of captivity. I think I need to look at my water source again and maybe do something different.

It may be your water. I buy distilled water from Wal-Mart for .70 a gallon. Lasts me about 2 weeks and it insures nothing is in the water. ;)

It may be your water. I buy distilled water from Wal-Mart for .70 a gallon. Lasts me about 2 weeks and it insures nothing is in the water. ;)
The water I use is filtered from the fridge and then I add reptisafe on top of that. I am thinking there is still too much stuff in the water or my sprayer is contaminated somehow. I have always used this technique without any issues but I guess I will try the other water.

I had received two mantids yesterday. Both arrived ok and ate a fly each. This morning one of them has lost all use of his four rear legs. Now this could be stress from shipping but I don't think that it is. The other one is ok so far. Getting fed up. It has to be my water as that is the only constant. Today I am going to get some distilled water.

I would move temporarily out and call the Feng shui zenzei, mate! I wouldn't drink that water either...

I would move temporarily out and call the Feng shui zenzei, mate! I wouldn't drink that water either...
I drink tons of it <_< They do treat it with chlorine twice a year and my wife told me they said not to use it in aquaria. I figured since I treated it it would be fine. I have only lived here a year and a half so that may not have been long enough to use the water with many mantids during the times that they change the treatment method.

Well ive been using honey for my flies and that seems to work i drip a little on the side of the container so it drips down and the flies love it they all stay in that one spot and suck the honey...Never used bee pollen though very interesting gotta try it nymphs are harder to care for as there small and many things could happen so might just be natural causes..I also heard its bad to when you give them fausite water.But i still use it and nothing has happen to my mantids there all healthy so i rarely think its that..

Seems I have fixed whatever the issue was. I disinfected everything; containers, foreceps, foam plugs, etc. Got new batches of flies and changed their food source. I also changed from moss to paper towels. I admit you guys that use paper towels were right, they do work better. Everyone seems ok now.

Seems I have fixed whatever the issue was. I disinfected everything; containers, foreceps, foam plugs, etc. Got new batches of flies and changed their food source. I also changed from moss to paper towels. I admit you guys that use paper towels were right, they do work better. Everyone seems ok now.
Don't Just use any paper towel! Use Bounty paper towel, it is the most absorbent! I feel like a spokes person for Bounty right now! :lol:

Glad to hear it, Rick. :)
+1!

Latest posts