Thistle Mantis Substrate?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sethu

Reaction score
I read up on this species and I know that they do not do well in humid environments and need a dry enclosure, other than occasional light misting. I already have a tank but I don't know what kind of substrate to use, one that won't raise the humidity. Thank you.

Do not mist them at all and do not add any substrate.

Mine lived well in a light-heated glass enclosure with paper towel on the bottom. Any substrate will work, I've used vermiculite for desert species many times before.

Okay, thank you. I just put paper towel on the bottom of the tank. Can't wait for them to get here!

Since you have a glass enclosure, you need sticks for it to climb since they cant climb glass plastic etc.

+1 that sounds good!

I do not know if the paper towels will help. Having them might even be worse than not having them. Sticks would be good.
Okay, I already have many sticks in there and mesh glued to the sides because they obviously won't be able to climb the glass. Why would I not want paper towels though? I don't see dry ones causing any problems.

I use paper towels for my b mendica enclosures...both plastic and nets. It makes clean up easier. In the winter, I mist my small nymphs about once a week when they are L1 - L3. I've had several ooths hatch the past couple of months and haven't misted the nymphs at all since it's humid enough here in the summer.

Okay, I already have many sticks in there and mesh glued to the sides because they obviously won't be able to climb the glass. Why would I not want paper towels though? I don't see dry ones causing any problems.
If you want to flip the container to get the food to go to the mantis, hehehehehe.

Latest posts