Toxodera sp.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome vid! Looks like she is on a swivel the way she turns.
Thanks Rick. I have this urge to go to Malaysia right now to get some more Toxodera just so we can culture them. Can't do it though cos of work and family. Maybe next year.

Thanks Rick. I have this urge to go to Malaysia right now to get some more Toxodera just so we can culture them. Can't do it though cos of work and family. Maybe next year.
I'm sure you will get them eventually.

Is the female an adult? She lay any ooths?

Is the female an adult? She lay any ooths?
Not yet Rick. From the looks of it, she's either sub-sub adult or sub adult. Hopefully she turns adult safe and sound and lay a couple of ooths even if they're infertile. That way we can see what the ooths would look like.

Not yet Rick. From the looks of it, she's either sub-sub adult or sub adult. Hopefully she turns adult safe and sound and lay a couple of ooths even if they're infertile. That way we can see what the ooths would look like.
Wow, how large is she now? She's gonna be pretty huge. Awesome pics btw, and best of luck. Loved the video.

Wow, how large is she now? She's gonna be pretty huge. Awesome pics btw, and best of luck. Loved the video.
We haven't really measured yet. But here's a Japanese comparison photo I found of a Toxodera fimbriata and a Toxodera beieri adult. Notice that in that photo, their limbs are gone. Toxos will eat their limbs if stressed. Sadly, those two didn't make it.

Here's another photo of an Aboriginal holding a Toxodera beieri female adult. You can roughly estimate the size of a female adult from this photo.

Hello guys, some update on this baby.

Her first molt while in captivity. She's been with us for 5 weeks and 2 days, and after that long period of time she molted. We're really happy at the moment lol

P1040948.jpg

P1040949.jpg

P1040952.jpg

P1040950.jpg

P1040947.jpg

P1040951.jpg

Great news, good sign that shes moulting successfully in captivity, you must have the conditions spot on. ;)

Great news, good sign that shes moulting successfully in captivity, you must have the conditions spot on. ;)
Thanks Kev. We don't really give her much attention. We mist her enclosure like probably once a week and she seldom eats because we don't have the time to catch butterflies for her. When we think it's time for her to eat, we'd usually hand feed her a mealworm. She even ate like once in two weeks before. We'd love to give her houseflies or BBs but we don't have those in culture here. I'm guessing our non-interference didn't stress her which is why she's still around. Ambient humidity and temperature here is quite high though.

Last edited by a moderator:
So awesome!

Good job handling her so far! Hopefully you will keep her through her whole life-

and hopefully in the future you guys can find a male for her!

Best of luck and I wish you guys all the success-

[SIZE=14pt]cool pic, what kind of cam setup are you useing?[/SIZE]
Thanks, just a cheap Lumix DSLR.

Did you get to see her molting? That would have been interesting to see how she got out of her old skin.
We missed it, it would have been most interesting.

So awesome!Good job handling her so far! Hopefully you will keep her through her whole life-

and hopefully in the future you guys can find a male for her!

Best of luck and I wish you guys all the success-
Thanks. We do have the intention to find her a mate but knowing how difficult that can be, we'd be satisfied with her laying an infertile ooth so that at least we'll have a clue what their ooth looks like.

Any idea on how close she is to adult?
She's probably sub-adult or sub-sub adult now.

Latest posts