Toxodera sp.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know that dealer; I haven't met him personally, but some friends of mine. I also know that you have to kill the mantids in order to preserve them as they will rot if they die of natural causes. Of course, for someone who likes breeding, killing a mantid for simple collection purposes may sound sad, but I wish more regions would use their forests like this. The alternative would be paddy fields, timber harvesting or oil palm plantations, and this is not better. This kind of trade (together with fruit sampling etc.) is sustainable forest use. The amount of insects that are caught is nothing compared to what vanishes when the forest is cleared off, and, if done properly, it is a sustainable resource which is available every season. The only species which may be affected are some larger butterflies and it is good that some of those are protected (but there is an illegal trade). To avoid overexploitation is is sufficient to establish quotes and/or core areas where collecting is prohibited. Many regions could profit from insect collectors and breeders from overseas who visit those regions and bring money to the people. Reality is different, as always...

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems I missed most of the posts here, I think without that is the most beautiful mantis I have seen. Other than the one that looks like a feather, this one is tops! ;)

This is one of the most awesome species I have ever seen!!! It's too bad we haven't heard much about it afterwards..

Latest posts