unexpected ooth explosion

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesskb

Reaction score
So today started pretty normal. I woke up before classes and was admiring my new Gongy cage that I built last night. I was happy to see that 2 of my gongys molted into L5 and another was in the process. All of a sudden I caught some movement out of the corner of my eye and noticed a mantis nymph on the outside of the gongy cage. I was like ######? It was about the same size as my mio nymphs that I have right now, and I had lost one when splitting them up into their own containers, so I was really surprised this little guy had survived and grown all on his own. I was about to grab a container for him when I noticed another one was there too. I was like "######?" then I looked at the wall and there was like 6 of them on the wall and I was like "######..." and then I saw the tons of them on the door. I walked into the living room to see nymphs on the living room walls, on the couch, and my cats were busy eating some in the nearby kitchen. I was like "######!"

well guys, I was under the impression that if I didn't put my Chinese ooths in the fridge right away that I would be fine. I knew they didn't "have" to have an overwintering period, but I thought it would take them forever if they didn't. Plus it just recently started getting cold out here. Basically, I thought I had a lot more time than I actually did. <_< The ooth that hatched had been laid in a bad position and was a little deformed so at least there wasn't 450+ little babies.

Oh, But it gets better!!

So I'm running around in my underwear trying to round up as many nymphs as I can before I go to class, when I come across one that is about 1/4 the size of the others. I was like "######" then I found another one. Come to find out, the miomantis ooth that I I was SURE was not fertile (the female was always trying to kill the male and I never saw them connect" was fertile. So needless to say, I spent my morning rounding up a couple hundred baby mantises and was severely late for class. I'm still scooping up the occasional baby :rolleyes:

So can I put the other ooths I have in the fridge or are they already too developed now?

I would either leave them outside in the cold temp so they can get use to it and hatch next year personally or keep them in like the garage or a place where the temps would be below 50 degrees so they would not hatch and have more accidents!

It is too late to put in fridge now, wish I could of seen the mantis nut running around , must of been a hoot! :lol: that'a teach you to wear pjs ! :p :tt2:

The next ooth wasn't laid for like three weeks after this one. Is it still to late to toss them in the fridge? It's only gotten cold here in mi for a couple weeks.

Heh I live in Michigan. It's far from warm or humid right now.
and they still managed to hatch? Wow, mantids don't sound to hard to breed at all. Of course this observation won't deduct from my care for the eggs but it's reassuring to know that I'd have to REALLY screw up bad to see the egg not hatch.

depends on what species you're breeding. Chinese and mios are easy. lol whatever you breed, make sure you put the ooths in a container!! even if you think they wont hatch right away <_<

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say yes, too late. could be wrong, but ! OH, ps... last night I dreamed I had the wide arm ooth in a instant potato box and they hatch and were all over the place cause I opened the box a little and was moving from one side of the Bugatorium to the other and they were escaping, so thanks for that! :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
lol sorry for the nighmare Rebecca! I guess the good part about me having all these babies all over is that I get to go mantis hunting in my own home! :p

Been there............more than a few times. :lol:

Rick, although I admit rounding up the babies has been a little fun (amazing where they end up :blink: ) I don't plan on repeating the experience! :lol:

Rick, although I admit rounding up the babies has been a little fun (amazing where they end up :blink: ) I don't plan on repeating the experience! :lol:
Hmmmm, I have a fresh ootheca and my dad is always complaining about the fungus gnats coming out of the house plants.........

Oh man, I better put my Chinese ootheca in my shed. It's been out in my room since the 1st, and the lid isn't closed all the way... :eek: I had dreams about nymphs just hatching all over my house before. I better not let that become a reality. lol!

Latest posts