Video of my enclosure

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sevilon

Reaction score
I created a fairy garden with live plants for my classroom. I put the ootheca into it, and they are hatching out. However, after reading in here, I think I need to make some changes- including adding some screen to the flat top before the domed lid starts. More branches as well? I hope to keep a couple of the mantis for the students to watch grow, and release the rest into my garden.
I know this set-up a little elaborate, but it was created for my students to enjoy, and the Praying Mantis were a separate idea- kept in a netted pop-up habitat originally- that I thought I might be able to combine with the habitat. If this won't work, I can move them to something else! Appreciate any thoughts as I want the mantis to have a suitable home!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ohIFbY0JKg

By the way, this video was created for my students to view as this ootheca took a very long time to hatch, and the students were out of school for a week before it started. I made the video today and sent it to the families so they could see them hatching! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
D@mn I'm loving the song! Oldies but goodies! :)

Oh yea add screening, branches and they'll be fine.

I'll admit the video made me cringe a little. It looks like you had more than a few nymphs that were getting stuck by their back legs while trying to hatch. at one point you mention that the nymphs hang upside down, but the nymphs pictured wheren't hanging as much as they were literally stuck. This tends to be a sign that the ootheca dried out too much at some point prior to the hatching.

The tank itself is lovely. Adding some screen/netting for easy climbing and a few more sticks that reach the higher levels will turn that into a mantis paridise. You might however want to wait until the nymphs are a little larger to try to raise them in there. Otherwise you are going to really need to flood the cage with fruitflies to make sure they are finding ample food.

I appreciate the information- I mentioned in my intro post that last year we ordered an ootheca from the same place, and they all hatched out in a very short period of time and were climbing around the enclosure by the next day. That definitely hasn't happened this time- these guys have emerged very slowly, over days, and most are not active at all. Knowing it could be from the ootheca being too dry is really helpful- thank you. I feel bad that these guys are not doing well.

The song is Coming Home by Leon Bridges- who is a new artist! I love his old Motown vibe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love your build... and just started doing the fairy gardens myself.. Yours is beautiful... thanks for sharing... and I am wishing the best for your nymphs...

Latest posts