Vomiting Problem

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Machinar94

Reaction score
My female Hierodula Majuscula is continuing to vomit a portion of her meal up every time I feed her. I have been attributing this to the 45 degree bend in her thorax, which I thought would be preventing her from digesting the food properly. She does manage to keep most of the food down, which is what keeps her going. She is now 6 weeks into adulthood and does not get sick when she is not eating.

I have been feeding her wildcaught roaches, which don't seem to affect my male so I'm assuming that they are healthy enough to use.

So far I've also tried, but with no success:

- Feeding her honey with her meal

- Alternating to grasshoppers

- Feeding her dog food

- Hanging her upside down and standing upright while feeding

- Feeding her small portions at a time or not feeding her for 24 hours

- Wetting the food for her to eat

Does anyone have any better ideas on what the cause may be, or what methods I could use to prevent the vomiting?

Maybe try to feed her less. The bend could be sqeezing her stomach,(kinda like the over weight people get the stomach band). She may be over eating or having trouble digesting. I would try to offer smaller meals for a week or so and see if it helps.

Do you have house flies or bb flies? That would be a good portion to start with.

I do have house flies, should I be feeding her a few each day? I figure she needs to keep eating a lot so she can lay an ootheca in the next few weeks.

I wouldnt worry to much about the ooth, she will lay when ready, i would try to feed about 5 blue bottle flies a day for 2 days just to see. But not all at once spread out the feeding times. Then you will know its a over eating issue

Have you tried tea?

I gave my elderly delta some tea today and she loved it. I don't make it strong, just one or two tea bags to just give the water a tinted look. No sugar

I wouldn't recommend giving her ALOT as tea can Dehydrate in large portions. I gave my Delta a good few drops.

Really my personal opinion, keep trying honey and water, or a mixture of the two together works well too. Ween her from the honey/water to honey/prey as you've tried, then onto real foods.

This was the method I had suggested to mantidbro when his Texas unicorn had fallen ill due to consuming a sickly cricket.

Keep us all updated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried tea?

I gave my elderly delta some tea today and she loved it. I don't make it strong, just one or two tea bags to just give the water a tinted look. No sugar

I wouldn't recommend giving her ALOT as tea can Dehydrate in large portions. I gave my Delta a good few drops.

Really my personal opinion, keep trying honey and water, or a mixture of the two together works well too. Ween her from the honey/water to honey/prey as you've tried, then onto real foods.

This was the method I had suggested to mantidbro when his Texas unicorn had fallen ill due to consuming a sickly cricket.

Keep us all updated.
I agree with everything said here, the tea and honey have healing properties, but like he said tea can dehydrate so be sure to provide water as wellAnd going from honey, to honey on prey, worked really well, vates (texas unicorn) became better... Which is really quite a rare thing when a mantid starts vomiting

Its good not to bother them and over stimulate them too... Keep her in the shade if shes really bad, she may just need a moment, to relax and heal

If she cant keep down honey or water, try again later, dont force her

Does it seem like an illness? Or is it more like, shes just over eating?

Last edited by a moderator:
Another idea...

You could try a meat type of cheap organic baby food. Ive never personally used the baby food on my mantids. However, if you scout the feeding threads I'm sure you'll come across it.

Thanks for the ideas guys, so how exactly should I be using these ideas into a daily schedule? I don't want to overuse all these good ideas and make things worse.

I would only use it to see if she can ingest without it coming back up. I wouldn't make it a daily diet. More like a medicine... In small doses. :)

I do hope she gets better, losing a favorite is the worst.

Do we have a photo of this mantis?

I would only use it to see if she can ingest without it coming back up. I wouldn't make it a daily diet. More like a medicine... In small doses. :)

I do hope she gets better, losing a favorite is the worst.

Do we have a photo of this mantis?
Agreed

Id like to see her too!

Is the puke dark and smelly or are we talking about a little spit up immediatly after eating?

It's kinda light brown/clear with black specks in it, and a little bit smelly. Sometimes its just a little spit up but most of the time she'll puke a fair bit up for at least 5-10 minutes.

Sorry to hear I hope she gets better! I would try tea and flies. I would stay away from roaches. Also it is a good sign that she is at least going for food. Maybe try a bumble bee (Bombus sp ). Bees are a pretty good meal for a majuscula that is what I fed my girl yesterday and she loved it. Keep us posted and good luck with her!

Latest posts