Water pillows!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psychobunny

Reaction score
You know those water pillow things you give to crickets and such?

You put them in water and they swell up!

Well, has anyone used one to raise the humidity of their mantis jar?

Seems like a great idea to me (but what do I know...stupid newbie!!LOL)

I'm going to try it. It cant possibly harm anything, and I am using clean rain water.

Wadda ya think?!

I think that they will work to raise the humidity, and are probably safe. :)

But don't forget that many mantids like to drink the water that can be sprayed in thier enclosures.

Or is it, that I like to watch them drink. :lol: It never stops being cute to me.

I think if higher RH is what you want you may be better served to go with moistened Sphagnum Moss, or sponges or maybe small pet bedding as they are all anti mold and the water crystals do mold up kind of quickly I've found.

Last edited by a moderator:
I I think that you make a good point, Angel, when you speak of pet bedding as being "anti mold" Untreated sphagnum moss is full of nutrients that molds seem to love, so it has to be treated. I would suggest that one way to avoid mold in highly humid enclosures would be to soak or spray the substrate with a mold inhibitor such as Paraben or calcium proprionate.

Both are used in materials used or eaten by humans, like eye shadow and bread, but you might want to experiment with the concentratioon and volume to find out if it is effective and safe for the mantids.

Both are very good suggestions Phil. One more I might add is 1 part vinegar and 6-8 parts water on the substrate directly as most people have that at there disposal.

Then couldnt I just give them a fine mist every few days?

I have lots of dried spagnum moss, I could put some in there moist and

just toss it if it molds!?

I think if higher RH is what you want you may be better served to go with moistened Sphagnum Moss, or sponges or maybe small pet bedding as they are all anti mold and the water crystals do mold up kind of quickly I've found.
Have been using Zilla water pillows for years for my crickets, no mold, just lots

of cricket poop!!!

I'm also not sure exactly how much humidity my mantids really need anyway, but I

was told to mist them often, like overy other day, just one or two little mists!

I think that they will work to raise the humidity, and are probably safe. :)

But don't forget that many mantids like to drink the water that can be sprayed in thier enclosures.

Or is it, that I like to watch them drink. :lol: It never stops being cute to me.
I noticed the ff's liked the water pillow, and the mantis had easy pickings because instead of

crawling all over the place, they were gathered around "the cooler" ;)

I do too, I love to watch them drink. I like to watch my tarantula drink as well (very rare sight!!)

I noticed the ff's liked the water pillow, and the mantis had easy pickings because instead of

crawling all over the place, they were gathered around "the cooler" ;)

I do too, I love to watch them drink. I like to watch my tarantula drink as well (very rare sight!!)
I am just delighted to see any of my arthropods drink! Especially the roaches, they look so funny when they stretch out their necks and make little trails in the misted sides of their containers. :blink:

Like Rick stated, paper towels are cheaper. I find that if something in the container stays moist for too long, it gets nasty quick, my mantids litter the floors with parts of their prey, and frass like there is no tomorrow. Paper towels make it alot easier to deal with, and will dry out eventually, so they are less likely to get nasty, and stay that way.

I am just delighted to see any of my arthropods drink! Especially the roaches, they look so funny when they stretch out their necks and make little trails in the misted sides of their containers. :blink:

Like Rick stated, paper towels are cheaper. I find that if something in the container stays moist for too long, it gets nasty quick, my mantids litter the floors with parts of their prey, and frass like there is no tomorrow. Paper towels make it alot easier to deal with, and will dry out eventually, so they are less likely to get nasty, and stay that way.
Yeah, paper towel idea sounds like a plan to me ;)

How do I get rid of mantis poop w/o having to take everything out of the jar?

(inluding the mantis)

Yeah, paper towel idea sounds like a plan to me ;)

How do I get rid of mantis poop w/o having to take everything out of the jar?

(inluding the mantis)
Perhaps it could be done if you keep your jar upside down, with ventilation on the side or "bottom"?

I just do it the hard way. I take out the mantis and everything, and rinse out the jar with water. If it is especially dirty, I use Dawn dish detergent and wash it like a dish.

Latest posts